Aug 26, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Patrice Brisebois was once given the derisive nickname “Breeze by.” It seems that nickname has come full circle, as the 18-year NHL veteran found a new passion in life after retirement: race car driving.
“Give those guys an inch,” the 18-season NHL veteran says, “and they’re going to take a foot.”
Clearly, he isn’t in the Canadian Tire Series for the riches, his winnings through three events at $3,760. Brisebois’s final contract with the Canadiens in 2008-09 paid him that sum in just a little over one period of hockey, based on an 82-game schedule.
“Some people say I still want to be in the spotlight,” he said. “No, I’m doing this for me. I want to be a really good race driver. The sound, speed, smell… it’s all amazing. You feel like a freebird. People who have never been on a racetrack can’t fully understand it.”
“You go as fast as possible, and there are no cops.”
It must be difficult to turn to normal, cubicle-based life after operating in an adrenaline-soaked atmosphere like the NHL for nearly two decades. Brisebois might not have been the best defenseman in the league, but he carved out a productive career and hopes to do the same in the also-fast-and-dangerous world of NASCAR.
Good luck to him.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)