Aug 26, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Patrice Brisebois was once given the derisive nickname “Breeze by.” It seems that nickname has come full circle, as the 18-year NHL veteran found a new passion in life after retirement: race car driving.
“Give those guys an inch,” the 18-season NHL veteran says, “and they’re going to take a foot.”
Clearly, he isn’t in the Canadian Tire Series for the riches, his winnings through three events at $3,760. Brisebois’s final contract with the Canadiens in 2008-09 paid him that sum in just a little over one period of hockey, based on an 82-game schedule.
“Some people say I still want to be in the spotlight,” he said. “No, I’m doing this for me. I want to be a really good race driver. The sound, speed, smell… it’s all amazing. You feel like a freebird. People who have never been on a racetrack can’t fully understand it.”
“You go as fast as possible, and there are no cops.”
It must be difficult to turn to normal, cubicle-based life after operating in an adrenaline-soaked atmosphere like the NHL for nearly two decades. Brisebois might not have been the best defenseman in the league, but he carved out a productive career and hopes to do the same in the also-fast-and-dangerous world of NASCAR.
Good luck to him.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)