Aug 26, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
While it’s hasty to say that Donald Fehr becoming the head of the NHL PA = lockout/doomsday, it didn’t stop people like me from making jokes about 2012 and storing water in bomb shelters.
Despite what people on Twitter and Internet forums might have you believe, negativity over the hiring isn’t universal. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, for one, seems pretty optimistic according to an interview in the Globe and Mail.
“Look, I’m not looking forward to Armageddon, that’s for sure,” said Daly. “The sport will be well served by dealing with its issues in a reasonable, insightful way, through the negotiation process, and that’s what we’re looking to do.”
“Clearly, leadership is going to be an important step forward,” said Daly. “They’ve been without a leader and working by committee for a year. Clearly, it’s not as quick, efficient and effective as it otherwise might be. We’re looking forward to that decision being made and that position being filled.”
That being said, there are a lot of issues to sort out by the time the Collective Bargaining Agreement runs out after the 2011-12 season. “Strong leadership” could mean stubborn decision making (aka an increased probability of a strike/lockout).
Hopefully, Daly, Gary Bettman, Fehr and everyone else involved will understand just how crucial it is to the health of the league that they not miss any regular season games. On the bright side, there is plenty of time if the two sides are proactive.
If not, the second half of 2012 could be awfully rough.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)