Aug 26, 2010, 5:10 PM EDT
While the team still needs to figure out James Neal’s contract situation, the Dallas Stars solved their other big restricted free agent problem by signing Nicklas Grossman to a two-year, $3.25 million contract according to the team. He’ll be paid $1.5 million in 10-11 and $1.75 million in 11-12.
Here is more from the Stars’ press release.
“We are very happy to sign Nicklas to this new contract,” said Nieuwendyk. “He is a solid NHL defenseman and is an important part of our young core.”
Grossman, 25, skated in 71 games for Dallas last season, collecting seven assists and 32 penalty minutes. He recorded 150 hits and 100 blocked shots in 2009-10. Grossman posted a career-high +5 rating Oct. 9, 2009 at Calgary.
The Stockholm, Sweden, native has appeared in 222 career NHL games, tallying 26 points (2g, 24a) and 109 penalty minutes. Grossman set new career highs in goals (2), assists (10) and points (12) in 2008-09. He also represented his country at the 2009 World Championships, helping Sweden win the bronze medal.
That’s a nice deal for Grossman, a single-minded defenseman who logged more than 19 minutes per game last season. If he puts up those kind of minutes, the Stars might not be in the greatest position from a big picture defensive standpoint, but they’ll certainly be getting their money’s worth.
This gives me the opportunity to say something about GM Joe Nieuwendyk’s work that I haven’t really been able to since he took over: nice job.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)