Aug 26, 2010, 5:10 PM EST
While the team still needs to figure out James Neal’s contract situation, the Dallas Stars solved their other big restricted free agent problem by signing Nicklas Grossman to a two-year, $3.25 million contract according to the team. He’ll be paid $1.5 million in 10-11 and $1.75 million in 11-12.
Here is more from the Stars’ press release.
“We are very happy to sign Nicklas to this new contract,” said Nieuwendyk. “He is a solid NHL defenseman and is an important part of our young core.”
Grossman, 25, skated in 71 games for Dallas last season, collecting seven assists and 32 penalty minutes. He recorded 150 hits and 100 blocked shots in 2009-10. Grossman posted a career-high +5 rating Oct. 9, 2009 at Calgary.
The Stockholm, Sweden, native has appeared in 222 career NHL games, tallying 26 points (2g, 24a) and 109 penalty minutes. Grossman set new career highs in goals (2), assists (10) and points (12) in 2008-09. He also represented his country at the 2009 World Championships, helping Sweden win the bronze medal.
That’s a nice deal for Grossman, a single-minded defenseman who logged more than 19 minutes per game last season. If he puts up those kind of minutes, the Stars might not be in the greatest position from a big picture defensive standpoint, but they’ll certainly be getting their money’s worth.
This gives me the opportunity to say something about GM Joe Nieuwendyk’s work that I haven’t really been able to since he took over: nice job.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)