Aug 26, 2010, 5:10 PM EDT
While the team still needs to figure out James Neal’s contract situation, the Dallas Stars solved their other big restricted free agent problem by signing Nicklas Grossman to a two-year, $3.25 million contract according to the team. He’ll be paid $1.5 million in 10-11 and $1.75 million in 11-12.
Here is more from the Stars’ press release.
“We are very happy to sign Nicklas to this new contract,” said Nieuwendyk. “He is a solid NHL defenseman and is an important part of our young core.”
Grossman, 25, skated in 71 games for Dallas last season, collecting seven assists and 32 penalty minutes. He recorded 150 hits and 100 blocked shots in 2009-10. Grossman posted a career-high +5 rating Oct. 9, 2009 at Calgary.
The Stockholm, Sweden, native has appeared in 222 career NHL games, tallying 26 points (2g, 24a) and 109 penalty minutes. Grossman set new career highs in goals (2), assists (10) and points (12) in 2008-09. He also represented his country at the 2009 World Championships, helping Sweden win the bronze medal.
That’s a nice deal for Grossman, a single-minded defenseman who logged more than 19 minutes per game last season. If he puts up those kind of minutes, the Stars might not be in the greatest position from a big picture defensive standpoint, but they’ll certainly be getting their money’s worth.
This gives me the opportunity to say something about GM Joe Nieuwendyk’s work that I haven’t really been able to since he took over: nice job.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 9
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 18
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 125
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (125)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)