Aug 25, 2010, 7:25 PM EDT
While it hasn’t been confirmed just yet, it sounds like the rumors are finally true: former MLB players association head Donald Fehr reportedly accepted the post as the head of the NHLPA. Some might cue “Taps” for the 2012-13 season upon hearing the news.
Former MLBPA Executive Director Don Fehr has agreed to accept the job of NHLPA executive director, according to multiple sources. Attempts to confirm this with Fehr or with the NHLPA were not immediately successful. Sources said other candidates have been informed they are no longer in the running for the top job. The search committee’s decision to recommend Fehr would still have to be confirmed by the entire board of player reps, sources said.
OK, so it’s not necessarily a done deal, but it might not be much more than a formality. (Although considering how erratic the NHLPA can be, that assumption might be a little bit dangerous.)
A “unified front” might be a good thing for the wallets of owners or players, but it’s not always the greatest thing for hockey fans. It’s hasty to assume that Fehr will automatically bring about a work stoppage, yet he was in charge of the MLBPA during the strike that briefly endangered baseball’s place in the hearts of many Americans. Considering the fact that the NHL is still recovering from the 2004-05 lockout, this could be quite the harbinger of doom.
Who knows if 2012 will bring about the kind of doom the Mayans predicted, but if Fehr = another lockout, then hockey fans might want to stock up on water and canned food.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)