Aug 25, 2010, 7:25 PM EST
While it hasn’t been confirmed just yet, it sounds like the rumors are finally true: former MLB players association head Donald Fehr reportedly accepted the post as the head of the NHLPA. Some might cue “Taps” for the 2012-13 season upon hearing the news.
Former MLBPA Executive Director Don Fehr has agreed to accept the job of NHLPA executive director, according to multiple sources. Attempts to confirm this with Fehr or with the NHLPA were not immediately successful. Sources said other candidates have been informed they are no longer in the running for the top job. The search committee’s decision to recommend Fehr would still have to be confirmed by the entire board of player reps, sources said.
OK, so it’s not necessarily a done deal, but it might not be much more than a formality. (Although considering how erratic the NHLPA can be, that assumption might be a little bit dangerous.)
A “unified front” might be a good thing for the wallets of owners or players, but it’s not always the greatest thing for hockey fans. It’s hasty to assume that Fehr will automatically bring about a work stoppage, yet he was in charge of the MLBPA during the strike that briefly endangered baseball’s place in the hearts of many Americans. Considering the fact that the NHL is still recovering from the 2004-05 lockout, this could be quite the harbinger of doom.
Who knows if 2012 will bring about the kind of doom the Mayans predicted, but if Fehr = another lockout, then hockey fans might want to stock up on water and canned food.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 2
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)