Aug 25, 2010, 8:40 PM EST
The World Hockey Summit might not be heavy in actual, tangible news but it has provided some puck-based emotional outbursts. Take, for instance, IIHF president’s stance that he would “fight like hell” to stop the NHL from expanding in Europe, even though that idea is probably not on the horizon any time soon.
When you’re looking for passionate hockey banter, turn to Toronto Maple Leafs (USA Olympic hockey team) GM Brian Burke. After hearing opening remarks that spoke glowingly about the NHL’s involvement in the once-every-four-years event, Burke passionately addressed the league’s own concerns.
The Leafs’ GM, an unabashed fan of Olympic hockey and the GM of Team USA in Vancouver, couldn’t hide his displeasure at what he considered the uninformed minimization of the NHL’s concerns with shutting down its season.
“It’s just not that simple,” Burke declared. “And we’re letting it become an emotional issue in this room.
“I do believe, and the Toronto Maple Leafs believe, that NHL players should go to the Olympics. But there’s a big IF — if and only if some of our concerns are addressed.”
But Burke and Healy joined forces in arguing forcefully that NHL general managers and medical personnel must have more access to NHL players during international events such as Olympic Games and the annual IIHF World Championships.
For fans and hockey writers, Olympic participation is a no-brainer. The issue is a little more complicated for the league, though, so I think it’s important that Burke and others have the chance to argue their side of the story.
Much like the feared could-be lockout, NHL executives have some time to decide whether or not they want to send their players to the Olympics again in 2014. It will be an interesting story to watch, even if we’ll only receive nuggets of information since Bettman and Co. are playing it pretty close to the vest so far.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)