Aug 25, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
If you were going to cast your vote for Executive of the Year right now, you’d have to think that Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman would be a unanimous selection at this point. Ever the perfectionist, Yzerman continues to add to the Lightning roster, today signing former Kings defenseman Randy Jones.
We’ve talked enough here about the work Steve Yzerman’s done this off-season to reverse the culture in Tampa Bay and really change things around for the better and grabbing Jones to be a depth defenseman is a wise move. Jones is tough at times although turnover prone. Tampa Bay’s top four on defense is pretty much set with Mattias Ohlund, Victor Hedman, Pavel Kubina and Brett Clark. Jones joins a pack of three others battling it out for the final two spots in a group that includes Mike Lundin, Matt Lashoff, and Matt Smaby. Given Jones’ NHL track record he’s a safer choice for that third pairing than either of the other three guys.
On the upside for hilarity’s sake, with Randy Jones returning to the Eastern Conference, that gives us fans the chance to hear NESN’s Jack Edwards cackle at his expense four times this season. We’re pretty sure Edwards has it out for Jones after Jones’ dirty hit that set back Patrice Bergeron’s career.
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 23
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 6
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 3