Aug 25, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
If you were going to cast your vote for Executive of the Year right now, you’d have to think that Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman would be a unanimous selection at this point. Ever the perfectionist, Yzerman continues to add to the Lightning roster, today signing former Kings defenseman Randy Jones.
We’ve talked enough here about the work Steve Yzerman’s done this off-season to reverse the culture in Tampa Bay and really change things around for the better and grabbing Jones to be a depth defenseman is a wise move. Jones is tough at times although turnover prone. Tampa Bay’s top four on defense is pretty much set with Mattias Ohlund, Victor Hedman, Pavel Kubina and Brett Clark. Jones joins a pack of three others battling it out for the final two spots in a group that includes Mike Lundin, Matt Lashoff, and Matt Smaby. Given Jones’ NHL track record he’s a safer choice for that third pairing than either of the other three guys.
On the upside for hilarity’s sake, with Randy Jones returning to the Eastern Conference, that gives us fans the chance to hear NESN’s Jack Edwards cackle at his expense four times this season. We’re pretty sure Edwards has it out for Jones after Jones’ dirty hit that set back Patrice Bergeron’s career.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)