Aug 25, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
If you were going to cast your vote for Executive of the Year right now, you’d have to think that Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman would be a unanimous selection at this point. Ever the perfectionist, Yzerman continues to add to the Lightning roster, today signing former Kings defenseman Randy Jones.
We’ve talked enough here about the work Steve Yzerman’s done this off-season to reverse the culture in Tampa Bay and really change things around for the better and grabbing Jones to be a depth defenseman is a wise move. Jones is tough at times although turnover prone. Tampa Bay’s top four on defense is pretty much set with Mattias Ohlund, Victor Hedman, Pavel Kubina and Brett Clark. Jones joins a pack of three others battling it out for the final two spots in a group that includes Mike Lundin, Matt Lashoff, and Matt Smaby. Given Jones’ NHL track record he’s a safer choice for that third pairing than either of the other three guys.
On the upside for hilarity’s sake, with Randy Jones returning to the Eastern Conference, that gives us fans the chance to hear NESN’s Jack Edwards cackle at his expense four times this season. We’re pretty sure Edwards has it out for Jones after Jones’ dirty hit that set back Patrice Bergeron’s career.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 1
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 6
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 18
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11