Aug 25, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
If you were going to cast your vote for Executive of the Year right now, you’d have to think that Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman would be a unanimous selection at this point. Ever the perfectionist, Yzerman continues to add to the Lightning roster, today signing former Kings defenseman Randy Jones.
We’ve talked enough here about the work Steve Yzerman’s done this off-season to reverse the culture in Tampa Bay and really change things around for the better and grabbing Jones to be a depth defenseman is a wise move. Jones is tough at times although turnover prone. Tampa Bay’s top four on defense is pretty much set with Mattias Ohlund, Victor Hedman, Pavel Kubina and Brett Clark. Jones joins a pack of three others battling it out for the final two spots in a group that includes Mike Lundin, Matt Lashoff, and Matt Smaby. Given Jones’ NHL track record he’s a safer choice for that third pairing than either of the other three guys.
On the upside for hilarity’s sake, with Randy Jones returning to the Eastern Conference, that gives us fans the chance to hear NESN’s Jack Edwards cackle at his expense four times this season. We’re pretty sure Edwards has it out for Jones after Jones’ dirty hit that set back Patrice Bergeron’s career.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12