Aug 25, 2010, 10:25 AM EST
Tampa Bay’s great summer continues to roll right along. TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets this morning that the Lightning have come to terms with restricted free agent Steve Downie on a two-year deal.
RFA Steve Downie has agreed to terms on two-year, $3.7M deal with Tampa. Cap hit is $1.85M.
For the better part of last season, Downie appeared to have turned the corner in his career and evolved into an effective goal-scoring power forward. Even though there were moments where he seemed to fall back on old habits stirring things up with his fists or with questionable hits, the facts remain that Downie went from being a Flyers cast-off and turned into a 46-point (22 goals, 24 assists) scoring menace on the ice.
Downie is penciled in to be the right wing on the second line providing support for either Steven Stamkos or Vincent Lecavalier either by means of scoring in front or playing the role of bodyguard. If Downie has indeed turned a corner in his career, paying him under $2 million a year for the next two seasons is one heck of a bargain given what he can provide on the ice in the forms of goal-scoring ability and physical force on a team that can use that presence up front. If Downie falls back on old, bad habits, however, the Lightning and Steve Yzerman are going to have an overpriced headache on their hands.
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 3
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)