Aug 25, 2010, 10:25 AM EDT
Tampa Bay’s great summer continues to roll right along. TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets this morning that the Lightning have come to terms with restricted free agent Steve Downie on a two-year deal.
RFA Steve Downie has agreed to terms on two-year, $3.7M deal with Tampa. Cap hit is $1.85M.
For the better part of last season, Downie appeared to have turned the corner in his career and evolved into an effective goal-scoring power forward. Even though there were moments where he seemed to fall back on old habits stirring things up with his fists or with questionable hits, the facts remain that Downie went from being a Flyers cast-off and turned into a 46-point (22 goals, 24 assists) scoring menace on the ice.
Downie is penciled in to be the right wing on the second line providing support for either Steven Stamkos or Vincent Lecavalier either by means of scoring in front or playing the role of bodyguard. If Downie has indeed turned a corner in his career, paying him under $2 million a year for the next two seasons is one heck of a bargain given what he can provide on the ice in the forms of goal-scoring ability and physical force on a team that can use that presence up front. If Downie falls back on old, bad habits, however, the Lightning and Steve Yzerman are going to have an overpriced headache on their hands.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)