Aug 25, 2010, 10:25 AM EDT
Tampa Bay’s great summer continues to roll right along. TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets this morning that the Lightning have come to terms with restricted free agent Steve Downie on a two-year deal.
RFA Steve Downie has agreed to terms on two-year, $3.7M deal with Tampa. Cap hit is $1.85M.
For the better part of last season, Downie appeared to have turned the corner in his career and evolved into an effective goal-scoring power forward. Even though there were moments where he seemed to fall back on old habits stirring things up with his fists or with questionable hits, the facts remain that Downie went from being a Flyers cast-off and turned into a 46-point (22 goals, 24 assists) scoring menace on the ice.
Downie is penciled in to be the right wing on the second line providing support for either Steven Stamkos or Vincent Lecavalier either by means of scoring in front or playing the role of bodyguard. If Downie has indeed turned a corner in his career, paying him under $2 million a year for the next two seasons is one heck of a bargain given what he can provide on the ice in the forms of goal-scoring ability and physical force on a team that can use that presence up front. If Downie falls back on old, bad habits, however, the Lightning and Steve Yzerman are going to have an overpriced headache on their hands.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)