Aug 25, 2010, 10:25 AM EST
Tampa Bay’s great summer continues to roll right along. TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets this morning that the Lightning have come to terms with restricted free agent Steve Downie on a two-year deal.
RFA Steve Downie has agreed to terms on two-year, $3.7M deal with Tampa. Cap hit is $1.85M.
For the better part of last season, Downie appeared to have turned the corner in his career and evolved into an effective goal-scoring power forward. Even though there were moments where he seemed to fall back on old habits stirring things up with his fists or with questionable hits, the facts remain that Downie went from being a Flyers cast-off and turned into a 46-point (22 goals, 24 assists) scoring menace on the ice.
Downie is penciled in to be the right wing on the second line providing support for either Steven Stamkos or Vincent Lecavalier either by means of scoring in front or playing the role of bodyguard. If Downie has indeed turned a corner in his career, paying him under $2 million a year for the next two seasons is one heck of a bargain given what he can provide on the ice in the forms of goal-scoring ability and physical force on a team that can use that presence up front. If Downie falls back on old, bad habits, however, the Lightning and Steve Yzerman are going to have an overpriced headache on their hands.
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 0
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 2
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 6
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 101
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (104)