Aug 25, 2010, 4:07 PM EDT
The Willie Mitchell saga is finally at an end and the winner of the pursuit is a team that finally isn’t playing the part of bridesmaid this summer.
The Los Angeles Kings signed the big defenseman today to a two-year $7 million deal, working out to be mathematically neat $3.5 million cap hit the next two seasons. According to Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times, the Kings were the only team to offer Mitchell a two-year contract. Considering the kind of money the Kings are ponying up for him, adding another year makes signing with the Kings an elementary decision.
We discussed a couple weeks ago what Mitchell could mean to the Kings and for them he provides a defensive shut-down player. With Matt Greene rehabbing from off-season surgery, adding Mitchell makes things a lot less shaky along the blue line. Mitchell will also help provide some leadership for budding stars Drew Doughty and Jack Johnson as well as for up and coming rookie Thomas Hickey. Mitchell along with Rob Scuderi give the Kings a defensive presence to help balance out the offensive skills of Doughty and Johnson as well as making up for the loss of plus/minus maven Sean O’Donnell.
Signing Mitchell also means that the summer hasn’t been a complete loss for the Kings. While they missed out getting Paul Martin and Dan Hamhuis, Mitchell, provided he stays healthy, is a great fall-back option to have. Sure losing out on Ilya Kovalchuk and landing Alexei Ponikarovsky doesn’t really make for a great trade-off, but with Mitchell they’ve made up for missing out on Martin and Hamhuis with a classic defensive defenseman.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 11
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 18
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 22
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car