Aug 24, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
There was plenty of discussion during Monday’s session of the World Hockey Summit.
Issues in women’s hockey were brought up much like we wrote about earlier, with Canadian women’s national team captain Hayley Wickenheiser pointing out the troubling fact that Russia only has six rinks where females can play hockey. Steve Yzerman similarly mentioned a lack of arenas in Florida while Daniel Alfredsson opined in favor of European-sized versions. Hockey parents, fighting and the KHL transfer agreements were also topics of discussion.
Ultimately, though, CBC’s Jeff Marek concluded that there wasn’t much to the proceedings.
And at the end of Day 1, many of us came away with the same question: What is this?
I’d like to say it was a discussion but it really wasn’t. Hockey personalities from across the globe, representing a myriad of different interests, had their say on their “sweet-spot” topics and then answered a couple of questions. Each session lasted no longer than 30 minutes.
Nobody came off point and with an assembly-line format, no new ground was broken. There were no “ah ha!” moments.
And while the topics and discussions were lively, we’ve heard all this stuff before. That’s what many of us concluded after the first session.
Now, that doesn’t mean that it will be impossible to find news from these proceedings; it just might not be likely. That being said, we’ll keep an eye on the reports from Marek and other media types to see if there are any nuggets worth perusing. If there are, we’ll pass them along to you and maybe even provide our take too. Stay tuned.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)