Aug 24, 2010, 11:50 AM EST
There was plenty of discussion during Monday’s session of the World Hockey Summit.
Issues in women’s hockey were brought up much like we wrote about earlier, with Canadian women’s national team captain Hayley Wickenheiser pointing out the troubling fact that Russia only has six rinks where females can play hockey. Steve Yzerman similarly mentioned a lack of arenas in Florida while Daniel Alfredsson opined in favor of European-sized versions. Hockey parents, fighting and the KHL transfer agreements were also topics of discussion.
Ultimately, though, CBC’s Jeff Marek concluded that there wasn’t much to the proceedings.
And at the end of Day 1, many of us came away with the same question: What is this?
I’d like to say it was a discussion but it really wasn’t. Hockey personalities from across the globe, representing a myriad of different interests, had their say on their “sweet-spot” topics and then answered a couple of questions. Each session lasted no longer than 30 minutes.
Nobody came off point and with an assembly-line format, no new ground was broken. There were no “ah ha!” moments.
And while the topics and discussions were lively, we’ve heard all this stuff before. That’s what many of us concluded after the first session.
Now, that doesn’t mean that it will be impossible to find news from these proceedings; it just might not be likely. That being said, we’ll keep an eye on the reports from Marek and other media types to see if there are any nuggets worth perusing. If there are, we’ll pass them along to you and maybe even provide our take too. Stay tuned.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11