Aug 24, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
There was plenty of discussion during Monday’s session of the World Hockey Summit.
Issues in women’s hockey were brought up much like we wrote about earlier, with Canadian women’s national team captain Hayley Wickenheiser pointing out the troubling fact that Russia only has six rinks where females can play hockey. Steve Yzerman similarly mentioned a lack of arenas in Florida while Daniel Alfredsson opined in favor of European-sized versions. Hockey parents, fighting and the KHL transfer agreements were also topics of discussion.
Ultimately, though, CBC’s Jeff Marek concluded that there wasn’t much to the proceedings.
And at the end of Day 1, many of us came away with the same question: What is this?
I’d like to say it was a discussion but it really wasn’t. Hockey personalities from across the globe, representing a myriad of different interests, had their say on their “sweet-spot” topics and then answered a couple of questions. Each session lasted no longer than 30 minutes.
Nobody came off point and with an assembly-line format, no new ground was broken. There were no “ah ha!” moments.
And while the topics and discussions were lively, we’ve heard all this stuff before. That’s what many of us concluded after the first session.
Now, that doesn’t mean that it will be impossible to find news from these proceedings; it just might not be likely. That being said, we’ll keep an eye on the reports from Marek and other media types to see if there are any nuggets worth perusing. If there are, we’ll pass them along to you and maybe even provide our take too. Stay tuned.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 23
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 14
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 2
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 54
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)