Aug 24, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
There was plenty of discussion during Monday’s session of the World Hockey Summit.
Issues in women’s hockey were brought up much like we wrote about earlier, with Canadian women’s national team captain Hayley Wickenheiser pointing out the troubling fact that Russia only has six rinks where females can play hockey. Steve Yzerman similarly mentioned a lack of arenas in Florida while Daniel Alfredsson opined in favor of European-sized versions. Hockey parents, fighting and the KHL transfer agreements were also topics of discussion.
Ultimately, though, CBC’s Jeff Marek concluded that there wasn’t much to the proceedings.
And at the end of Day 1, many of us came away with the same question: What is this?
I’d like to say it was a discussion but it really wasn’t. Hockey personalities from across the globe, representing a myriad of different interests, had their say on their “sweet-spot” topics and then answered a couple of questions. Each session lasted no longer than 30 minutes.
Nobody came off point and with an assembly-line format, no new ground was broken. There were no “ah ha!” moments.
And while the topics and discussions were lively, we’ve heard all this stuff before. That’s what many of us concluded after the first session.
Now, that doesn’t mean that it will be impossible to find news from these proceedings; it just might not be likely. That being said, we’ll keep an eye on the reports from Marek and other media types to see if there are any nuggets worth perusing. If there are, we’ll pass them along to you and maybe even provide our take too. Stay tuned.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)