Aug 24, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
While EA Sports’ NHL series wrestled the critics’ championship belt* from the 2K games without question with their second “next-generation” game NHL ’08, the 2K series has been fairly bold in jumping on different platforms. After all these years, Electronic Arts if finally putting out a Nintendo Wii title after 2K had a polygonal puck monopoly for years, but now 2K is ahead of the pack yet again.
* – They already owned the gold for sales every year, which I guess is the most important thing anyway.
Though it’s unclear how high quality the game will be, they’ve broken ground by becoming the first NHL-licensed game to appear in the near-ubiquitous iPhone market. Here is more from the video game blog Joystiq.
2K Sports has announced that, tomorrow, puck enthusiasts on the go will be able to access a version of NHL 2K11 optimized for iOS devices — the first officially-licensed hockey game to lace up its skates on the iPhone and iPod Touch, actually. Sadly, 2K Sports has not furnished us with any media for the new game, but has revealed that it can be yours for $1.99 during its first week of availability.
The company also promises the scaled-down skate-‘em-up will sport “a new control system designed from the ground up; animations and graphics taken from the console version of the game; and fully realized season, shootout and free skate modes of play.” You can find it on the App Store starting tomorrow.
Interesting. Both the Wii and iPhone versions of NHL 2K11 released today, but I haven’t stumbled across any reviews of either game just yet. At $1.99, you have to wonder how beefy or responsive the handheld version is, but if they managed to make a pretty good game out of it 2K Sports might really be onto something.
And, besides, it can’t get much more awkward than the Nintendo version(s) are, right?
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)