Aug 24, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
While EA Sports’ NHL series wrestled the critics’ championship belt* from the 2K games without question with their second “next-generation” game NHL ’08, the 2K series has been fairly bold in jumping on different platforms. After all these years, Electronic Arts if finally putting out a Nintendo Wii title after 2K had a polygonal puck monopoly for years, but now 2K is ahead of the pack yet again.
* – They already owned the gold for sales every year, which I guess is the most important thing anyway.
Though it’s unclear how high quality the game will be, they’ve broken ground by becoming the first NHL-licensed game to appear in the near-ubiquitous iPhone market. Here is more from the video game blog Joystiq.
2K Sports has announced that, tomorrow, puck enthusiasts on the go will be able to access a version of NHL 2K11 optimized for iOS devices — the first officially-licensed hockey game to lace up its skates on the iPhone and iPod Touch, actually. Sadly, 2K Sports has not furnished us with any media for the new game, but has revealed that it can be yours for $1.99 during its first week of availability.
The company also promises the scaled-down skate-’em-up will sport “a new control system designed from the ground up; animations and graphics taken from the console version of the game; and fully realized season, shootout and free skate modes of play.” You can find it on the App Store starting tomorrow.
Interesting. Both the Wii and iPhone versions of NHL 2K11 released today, but I haven’t stumbled across any reviews of either game just yet. At $1.99, you have to wonder how beefy or responsive the handheld version is, but if they managed to make a pretty good game out of it 2K Sports might really be onto something.
And, besides, it can’t get much more awkward than the Nintendo version(s) are, right?
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)