Aug 24, 2010, 11:15 AM EST
Most injury reports are fairly mundane. They’re generally full of tweaks and scopes and strains and tears.
Every once and a while, though, you stumble on an ailment that sounds downright scary. Take, for instance, the case of Joffrey Lupul. News broke that the goal scoring winger will miss the opening of training camp and might not be ready for the beginning of the regular season due to the return of a blood infection in his back, according to the Orange County Register.
Lupul said Monday he suffered the setback one month ago and stopped training because of the discomfort. Results from blood tests showed that the infection had returned, according to the team.
Lupul will continue to take antibiotics for another four weeks and cannot do any physical activity during that time. He will be re-evaluated on or around Sept.20, about two or three days after the Ducks open camp.
Lupul said that being ready for the Ducks’ season opener on Oct.8 is not a possibility. There is no timetable for his return.
“It’s really frustrating,” Lupul said. “I haven’t played hockey in a long time. I was hoping to be ready on day one of camp. But now my focus has changed. I want to get rid of this. I’m very confident I can get back playing and playing well.”
Oof, that’s rough, folks.
After becoming one of the only players in sports I’ve ever heard of who was packaged in two trades for the same player (he was thrown in the other side of two deals involving all-world defenseman Chris Pronger … both times his side lost pretty badly), Lupul only played in 23 games last season thanks to those health issues.
Even when he’s healthy, he’s overpaid at $4.25 million per year over the next three seasons and is a bit one-dimensional, but there’s little doubt that he can be an effective goal scorer. Considering the blows the Ducks’ blueline has taken lately, Anaheim needs every bit of offense they can get. This could be a sizable blow to a struggling – but still in many ways talented – Ducks team.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 3
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 8
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 52
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 75
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)