Aug 24, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
The Atlanta Thrashers signed defenseman Andrei Zubarev to a two-way, two-year deal today according to Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Vivlamore reports that each year of the deal will earn him $625K if he plays on the NHL level and 62K if he remains at the minor league level.
Zubarev, 23, posted 16 points (seven goals, nine assists) in 55 games with HK Atlant of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) in Russia last season. He led team defensemen in goals, while ranking third in points and assists. The 6-1, 205-pound defenseman also appeared in four post-season games with Atlant.
The Ufa, Russia, native has spent the last two seasons with Atlant, recording 20 points (seven goals, 13 assists) in 90 career games. Prior to joining the KHL, Zubarev spent parts of five seasons in the former Russian Super League from 2003 to 2008, earning 20 points (six goals, 14 assists) in 110 career games with Salavat Yulaev Ufa and Ak Bars Kazan.
Zubarev was the Thrashers sixth round pick in 2005. It’s a pretty crowded blueline in Atlanta, with Ron Hainsey, Tobias Enstrom, Johnny Oduya, Zach Bogosian, Brent Sopel, Boris Valabik and Freddy Meyer (among others?) likely ahead of Zubarev on their depth chart. That being said, it’s a two-way deal so the Thrashers have plenty of flexibility if Zubarev isn’t ready for the big-time yet.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 2
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 66
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)