Aug 23, 2010, 5:28 PM EDT
Over the weekend, rumors abounded that the Devils and Ilya Kovalchuk were coming close to an agreement on a new contract, one that ideally wouldn’t be shot down by the NHL like their previous effort on a 17-year, $102 million deal that was nixed by the league. Today, ESPN’s EJ Hradek tweeted something of a not-so blind item about a handful of characters that had a meeting at the NHL home offices in Manhattan today.
NJ owner Jeff Vanderbeek, NJ GM Lou Lamoriello and Ilya Kovalchuk’s agent Jay Grossman met with NHL execs at league’s NY office today. Hmmm?
That’s an infamous crew if we’ve ever seen one and one whose intentions are pretty clear if they’re going to the NHL home office. As it turns out, everything is as it appears as Yahoo’s Dmitry Chesnokov finds out and a deal has been made.
A decision on the newly submitted deal — no details are being leaked on its value or length — is expected in the next 24 hours.
Buckle up everyone, the next day could prove to be a busy one. Get your calculators and abacuses out because the comparisons between the old, nixed deal and a possible new deal are going to prove to be interesting.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)