Aug 23, 2010, 5:28 PM EDT
Over the weekend, rumors abounded that the Devils and Ilya Kovalchuk were coming close to an agreement on a new contract, one that ideally wouldn’t be shot down by the NHL like their previous effort on a 17-year, $102 million deal that was nixed by the league. Today, ESPN’s EJ Hradek tweeted something of a not-so blind item about a handful of characters that had a meeting at the NHL home offices in Manhattan today.
NJ owner Jeff Vanderbeek, NJ GM Lou Lamoriello and Ilya Kovalchuk’s agent Jay Grossman met with NHL execs at league’s NY office today. Hmmm?
That’s an infamous crew if we’ve ever seen one and one whose intentions are pretty clear if they’re going to the NHL home office. As it turns out, everything is as it appears as Yahoo’s Dmitry Chesnokov finds out and a deal has been made.
A decision on the newly submitted deal — no details are being leaked on its value or length — is expected in the next 24 hours.
Buckle up everyone, the next day could prove to be a busy one. Get your calculators and abacuses out because the comparisons between the old, nixed deal and a possible new deal are going to prove to be interesting.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)