Aug 23, 2010, 5:28 PM EST
Over the weekend, rumors abounded that the Devils and Ilya Kovalchuk were coming close to an agreement on a new contract, one that ideally wouldn’t be shot down by the NHL like their previous effort on a 17-year, $102 million deal that was nixed by the league. Today, ESPN’s EJ Hradek tweeted something of a not-so blind item about a handful of characters that had a meeting at the NHL home offices in Manhattan today.
NJ owner Jeff Vanderbeek, NJ GM Lou Lamoriello and Ilya Kovalchuk’s agent Jay Grossman met with NHL execs at league’s NY office today. Hmmm?
That’s an infamous crew if we’ve ever seen one and one whose intentions are pretty clear if they’re going to the NHL home office. As it turns out, everything is as it appears as Yahoo’s Dmitry Chesnokov finds out and a deal has been made.
A decision on the newly submitted deal — no details are being leaked on its value or length — is expected in the next 24 hours.
Buckle up everyone, the next day could prove to be a busy one. Get your calculators and abacuses out because the comparisons between the old, nixed deal and a possible new deal are going to prove to be interesting.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)