Aug 23, 2010, 11:08 AM EDT
The arduous journey of Blackhawks goaltender Cristobal Huet is nearly at an end. Lyle Richardson of Spector’s Hockey discovers a report from Swiss news site 20 Minutes Online reporting that Huet will be loaned to Fribourg-Gotteron next season.
This is just a report for now, and while we know that Huet will not be playing for the Blackhawks one way or another thanks to their salary cap crunch this year, Huet’s agent has been looking towards Europe to find a team for him to play for there and Switzerland was one area that was mentioned specifically by him. Huet played for Lugano back when he was younger and returning there now after being part of a Stanley Cup winning team, while bittersweet, would make for quite the change.
Then again, joining the Swiss pro league has to have an advantage over riding buses in the AHL, which, if he doesn’t get loaned out to a team in Europe, will be Huet’s future. Either way, Huet will get paid what he’s owed by the Blackhawks, it’s just that it won’t count against the salary cap. Getting paid to work in the shadow of the Alps sounds like a nice way to make a living.
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 6
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 33
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on