Aug 23, 2010, 11:08 AM EST
The arduous journey of Blackhawks goaltender Cristobal Huet is nearly at an end. Lyle Richardson of Spector’s Hockey discovers a report from Swiss news site 20 Minutes Online reporting that Huet will be loaned to Fribourg-Gotteron next season.
This is just a report for now, and while we know that Huet will not be playing for the Blackhawks one way or another thanks to their salary cap crunch this year, Huet’s agent has been looking towards Europe to find a team for him to play for there and Switzerland was one area that was mentioned specifically by him. Huet played for Lugano back when he was younger and returning there now after being part of a Stanley Cup winning team, while bittersweet, would make for quite the change.
Then again, joining the Swiss pro league has to have an advantage over riding buses in the AHL, which, if he doesn’t get loaned out to a team in Europe, will be Huet’s future. Either way, Huet will get paid what he’s owed by the Blackhawks, it’s just that it won’t count against the salary cap. Getting paid to work in the shadow of the Alps sounds like a nice way to make a living.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)