Aug 23, 2010, 11:08 AM EDT
The arduous journey of Blackhawks goaltender Cristobal Huet is nearly at an end. Lyle Richardson of Spector’s Hockey discovers a report from Swiss news site 20 Minutes Online reporting that Huet will be loaned to Fribourg-Gotteron next season.
This is just a report for now, and while we know that Huet will not be playing for the Blackhawks one way or another thanks to their salary cap crunch this year, Huet’s agent has been looking towards Europe to find a team for him to play for there and Switzerland was one area that was mentioned specifically by him. Huet played for Lugano back when he was younger and returning there now after being part of a Stanley Cup winning team, while bittersweet, would make for quite the change.
Then again, joining the Swiss pro league has to have an advantage over riding buses in the AHL, which, if he doesn’t get loaned out to a team in Europe, will be Huet’s future. Either way, Huet will get paid what he’s owed by the Blackhawks, it’s just that it won’t count against the salary cap. Getting paid to work in the shadow of the Alps sounds like a nice way to make a living.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)