Aug 23, 2010, 11:08 AM EDT
The arduous journey of Blackhawks goaltender Cristobal Huet is nearly at an end. Lyle Richardson of Spector’s Hockey discovers a report from Swiss news site 20 Minutes Online reporting that Huet will be loaned to Fribourg-Gotteron next season.
This is just a report for now, and while we know that Huet will not be playing for the Blackhawks one way or another thanks to their salary cap crunch this year, Huet’s agent has been looking towards Europe to find a team for him to play for there and Switzerland was one area that was mentioned specifically by him. Huet played for Lugano back when he was younger and returning there now after being part of a Stanley Cup winning team, while bittersweet, would make for quite the change.
Then again, joining the Swiss pro league has to have an advantage over riding buses in the AHL, which, if he doesn’t get loaned out to a team in Europe, will be Huet’s future. Either way, Huet will get paid what he’s owed by the Blackhawks, it’s just that it won’t count against the salary cap. Getting paid to work in the shadow of the Alps sounds like a nice way to make a living.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)