Aug 23, 2010, 11:08 AM EDT
The arduous journey of Blackhawks goaltender Cristobal Huet is nearly at an end. Lyle Richardson of Spector’s Hockey discovers a report from Swiss news site 20 Minutes Online reporting that Huet will be loaned to Fribourg-Gotteron next season.
This is just a report for now, and while we know that Huet will not be playing for the Blackhawks one way or another thanks to their salary cap crunch this year, Huet’s agent has been looking towards Europe to find a team for him to play for there and Switzerland was one area that was mentioned specifically by him. Huet played for Lugano back when he was younger and returning there now after being part of a Stanley Cup winning team, while bittersweet, would make for quite the change.
Then again, joining the Swiss pro league has to have an advantage over riding buses in the AHL, which, if he doesn’t get loaned out to a team in Europe, will be Huet’s future. Either way, Huet will get paid what he’s owed by the Blackhawks, it’s just that it won’t count against the salary cap. Getting paid to work in the shadow of the Alps sounds like a nice way to make a living.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 4
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 30
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 21
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)