Aug 23, 2010, 11:30 PM EDT
With the World Hockey Summit starting today, one of the biggest topics was how the NHL would handle future Olympic competitions, particularly the not-so-convenient 2014 Sochi Games. A couple days ago, I asked PHT readers what they thought about the possible return of the World Cup tournament and whether the NHL should continue participating in the Olympics.
Let’s take a look at the results of the poll. (Click to enlarge.)
A resounding 212 of the 256 votes went in favor of the NHL continuing its involvement with the Olympics, with keeping the World Cup as well slightly edging only participating in the Olympics. (For the record, there was one write-in comment that involved … chicken nuggets or something. I really love the Internet sometimes.)
Personally, I think that a World Cup might be a bit redundant, at least if it’s in the same year as the Olympics (much like the Hockey World Championships took a slight dip this summer since players were exhausted from the season and the Vancouver games). Overall, though, I think the poll results show that fans want to see the best players perform on the biggest stages, whether it’s the Stanley Cup Finals or Olympic Games.
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 92
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 48
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63