Aug 23, 2010, 11:30 PM EDT
With the World Hockey Summit starting today, one of the biggest topics was how the NHL would handle future Olympic competitions, particularly the not-so-convenient 2014 Sochi Games. A couple days ago, I asked PHT readers what they thought about the possible return of the World Cup tournament and whether the NHL should continue participating in the Olympics.
Let’s take a look at the results of the poll. (Click to enlarge.)
A resounding 212 of the 256 votes went in favor of the NHL continuing its involvement with the Olympics, with keeping the World Cup as well slightly edging only participating in the Olympics. (For the record, there was one write-in comment that involved … chicken nuggets or something. I really love the Internet sometimes.)
Personally, I think that a World Cup might be a bit redundant, at least if it’s in the same year as the Olympics (much like the Hockey World Championships took a slight dip this summer since players were exhausted from the season and the Vancouver games). Overall, though, I think the poll results show that fans want to see the best players perform on the biggest stages, whether it’s the Stanley Cup Finals or Olympic Games.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5