Aug 23, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
About a month ago, we discussed the rather surprising decision by MSG Network to let announcer Billy Jaffe walk because the New York Islanders thought he was “too critical” of the team. Chris Botta reports that Jaffe’s replacement has been found in beloved former Islander Butch Goring.
Butch Goring has been hired by MSG Network and approved by the Islanders as the new color commentator on the team’s television broadcasts. Goring suceeds Billy Jaffe, whose four-year run in the job ended when the Islanders would not grant their approval to a contract negotiated between Jaffe’s agent and MSG Network, the employer.
Since joining the network in 2007, Goring has received increased responsibilities in the MSG studio and as a sideline analyst during select Islanders games. No word yet whom MSG Network will hire to take the four-time Stanley Cup winner’s place in the Islanders’ chair on “Hockey Night Live” and on game broadcasts. It does not appear that Denis Potvin, the Islanders’ dynasty captain who is now based out of Ottawa, is in the mix for a regular role.
Goring was considered by some to be “the missing ingredient” of the New York Islanders four Cup-winning dynasty, so perhaps he’ll be the same for their broadcasting team. It’s a shame for Jaffe, but congratulations to Goring.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 48
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)