Aug 23, 2010, 9:30 PM EST
About a month ago, we discussed the rather surprising decision by MSG Network to let announcer Billy Jaffe walk because the New York Islanders thought he was “too critical” of the team. Chris Botta reports that Jaffe’s replacement has been found in beloved former Islander Butch Goring.
Butch Goring has been hired by MSG Network and approved by the Islanders as the new color commentator on the team’s television broadcasts. Goring suceeds Billy Jaffe, whose four-year run in the job ended when the Islanders would not grant their approval to a contract negotiated between Jaffe’s agent and MSG Network, the employer.
Since joining the network in 2007, Goring has received increased responsibilities in the MSG studio and as a sideline analyst during select Islanders games. No word yet whom MSG Network will hire to take the four-time Stanley Cup winner’s place in the Islanders’ chair on “Hockey Night Live” and on game broadcasts. It does not appear that Denis Potvin, the Islanders’ dynasty captain who is now based out of Ottawa, is in the mix for a regular role.
Goring was considered by some to be “the missing ingredient” of the New York Islanders four Cup-winning dynasty, so perhaps he’ll be the same for their broadcasting team. It’s a shame for Jaffe, but congratulations to Goring.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)