Aug 23, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
What kind of summer have the Calgary Flames had? It’s been the kind of summer that allows for crooners to crack jokes on your team in your own building. Noted Canadian singer and Vancouver Canucks fan, Michael Bublé was recently in Calgary to make the ladies go crazy for his song stylings and apparently his other way of entertaining the locals was to treat Flames GM Daryl Sutter as if he was the subject of a celebrity roast. Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun shares the story.
Performing to two sold-out crowds at the Dome last week, hockey-mad Vancouver crooner Michael Buble took a few minutes to throw in his two cents on the Flames’ big off-season acquisition. Claiming he saw several dozen “hippies” using Hula Hoops at Eau Claire last weekend, Buble said he was sure he saw Darryl Sutter hangin’ with the group. Pretending to take a puff of a joint, he did his best Sutter impression, which sounded more like Tommy Chong: “You know what would be awesome,” started Buble, “if we got Olli Jokinen back.” The crowd exploded in laughter …
At this point you’re almost rooting for Olli Jokinen to be the comeback player of the year so as to make all these jokes seem really bad in retrospect. Still, you have to admire that Bublé is so on top of his hockey news. Add in the fact that he’s perhaps the first Canucks fan to make it into and out of the Calgary Saddledome without being booed either says more about him as a performer or how much Flames fans have had their souls crushed by Daryl Sutter’s wacky signings.
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 0
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 0
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 19
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 3
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 45