Aug 23, 2010, 12:58 PM EDT
The Red Wings summer of free agency appears to be just about complete. The team announced that they’ve signed the last of their restricted free agents, Justin Abdelkader, to a two-year contract. The financial details of Abdelkader’s deal aren’t immediately known but once they’re discovered we’ll update this post with that information.
(UPDATE: Craig Custance of The Sporting News tweets that Abdelkader’s deal is worth $787,000 per year, a nice team-friendly cap hit.)
Abdelkader is set to be one of Detroit’s grinding, sandpaper-like forwards this year. During the off-season, Abdelkader has taken up boxing lessons so as to better improve the pugilistic side of his game. With Detroit not having and established enforcer, having at least one guy on the roster willing to do battle helps out. Abdelkader has already started picking up a reputation for being rough around the edges and unafraid to mix it up in a scrum, but flat-out fighting is something the Wings haven’t gotten into the last few years.
Abdelkader will be battling it out, in a much more polite way we assume, with Patrick Eaves, Drew Miller, and Kris Draper for time on the fourth line now that the Wings’ third line is set to have Jiri Hudler, Mike Modano and Dan Cleary. That rotation of four players on the fourth line ideally will keep things fresh for Detroit.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 0
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 4
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)