Aug 23, 2010, 12:58 PM EST
The Red Wings summer of free agency appears to be just about complete. The team announced that they’ve signed the last of their restricted free agents, Justin Abdelkader, to a two-year contract. The financial details of Abdelkader’s deal aren’t immediately known but once they’re discovered we’ll update this post with that information.
(UPDATE: Craig Custance of The Sporting News tweets that Abdelkader’s deal is worth $787,000 per year, a nice team-friendly cap hit.)
Abdelkader is set to be one of Detroit’s grinding, sandpaper-like forwards this year. During the off-season, Abdelkader has taken up boxing lessons so as to better improve the pugilistic side of his game. With Detroit not having and established enforcer, having at least one guy on the roster willing to do battle helps out. Abdelkader has already started picking up a reputation for being rough around the edges and unafraid to mix it up in a scrum, but flat-out fighting is something the Wings haven’t gotten into the last few years.
Abdelkader will be battling it out, in a much more polite way we assume, with Patrick Eaves, Drew Miller, and Kris Draper for time on the fourth line now that the Wings’ third line is set to have Jiri Hudler, Mike Modano and Dan Cleary. That rotation of four players on the fourth line ideally will keep things fresh for Detroit.
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 2
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 24
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16