Aug 23, 2010, 12:58 PM EST
The Red Wings summer of free agency appears to be just about complete. The team announced that they’ve signed the last of their restricted free agents, Justin Abdelkader, to a two-year contract. The financial details of Abdelkader’s deal aren’t immediately known but once they’re discovered we’ll update this post with that information.
(UPDATE: Craig Custance of The Sporting News tweets that Abdelkader’s deal is worth $787,000 per year, a nice team-friendly cap hit.)
Abdelkader is set to be one of Detroit’s grinding, sandpaper-like forwards this year. During the off-season, Abdelkader has taken up boxing lessons so as to better improve the pugilistic side of his game. With Detroit not having and established enforcer, having at least one guy on the roster willing to do battle helps out. Abdelkader has already started picking up a reputation for being rough around the edges and unafraid to mix it up in a scrum, but flat-out fighting is something the Wings haven’t gotten into the last few years.
Abdelkader will be battling it out, in a much more polite way we assume, with Patrick Eaves, Drew Miller, and Kris Draper for time on the fourth line now that the Wings’ third line is set to have Jiri Hudler, Mike Modano and Dan Cleary. That rotation of four players on the fourth line ideally will keep things fresh for Detroit.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)