Aug 22, 2010, 11:21 AM EDT
You know the season is getting closer when news about a serious and mysterious training injury comes out. While word stirred last night about Bruins depth forward Trent Whitfield suffering a serious injury, Joe Haggerty of CSN Boston has gotten confirmation from the Bruins that Whitfield is indeed injured, and rather seriously so.
Center Trent Whitfield blew out his Achilles tendon while working out this week to ready for the upcoming season, and will likely be lost for the entire season. A Bruins source confirmed the injury to CSNNE.com on Sunday.
This isn’t a crucial blow for the Bruins. In all likelihood, Whitfield was starting the year in the AHL with Providence, but according to some of the whispers going around about just how this injury came to be, there’s a possibility that Sami Salo’s wacky Ball Hockey injury earlier this summer won’t be the only semi-embarrassing one to go down this year.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5