Aug 22, 2010, 11:21 AM EDT
You know the season is getting closer when news about a serious and mysterious training injury comes out. While word stirred last night about Bruins depth forward Trent Whitfield suffering a serious injury, Joe Haggerty of CSN Boston has gotten confirmation from the Bruins that Whitfield is indeed injured, and rather seriously so.
Center Trent Whitfield blew out his Achilles tendon while working out this week to ready for the upcoming season, and will likely be lost for the entire season. A Bruins source confirmed the injury to CSNNE.com on Sunday.
This isn’t a crucial blow for the Bruins. In all likelihood, Whitfield was starting the year in the AHL with Providence, but according to some of the whispers going around about just how this injury came to be, there’s a possibility that Sami Salo’s wacky Ball Hockey injury earlier this summer won’t be the only semi-embarrassing one to go down this year.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)