Aug 22, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT
People set up plenty of things with each other on the Internet. Sometimes, a timid couple will plan a first date through winky emoticons and instant messages. Maybe someone will find a job on Craig’s List.
But rarely will you hear about people setting up a fight, especially two guys who aren’t hiding behind some sort of pseudonym.
That’s exactly the odd case with St. Louis Blues enforcer Cam Janssen and Dallas Stars tough guy Krys Barch, as the two basically made a play date (or maybe a punch date?) on Twitter today.
In case they decide to take it down, I thought I’d get a screen shot of each comment in case a Shadowy Figure attempts to make the exchange evaporate into the Google Cache ether. First, let’s start with the challenge issued by Janssen.
(Do click on this link to his Twitter account to marvel at the cleverness of his background photo, which actually is the same AP picture you see above.)
Barch did not seem phased by the digital gauntlet throwing, though, as he casually accepted Janssen’s challenge.
Perhaps the strangest thing, though, is that agent Scott Norton helped to fan the flames on Twitter, as well. Here is one of his comments on the situation.
Odd stuff, but hey, it might be easier to sell tickets to the next Stars-Blues game considering the fact that a heavyweight bout is nearly bound to happen.
Judging by the fact that the league instituted an instigator penalty, one must think that executives are far from pleased with what is a pretty amusing scenario for everyone else involved. Could we see the first ever Twitter-related penalty in NHL history?
One thing’s for sure: this won’t be the first time these two tangled. Check out this brutal, haymaker-filled bout the two engaged in a November 2009 game. (The folks at Hockeyfights.com awarded Janssen “the win” with 58 percent of the votes.) We’ve seen a lot of ground broken on Twitter in the last few years, but will someone have to update “The Code” to legislate 140 character barbs going forward?
Finally, since you made it this far, here’s a video of a three minute fight featuring Cam Janssen. It’s not the bout with Barch, but are you really going to complain about a fight like this? Enjoy.
- BREAKING: End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 4
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 14
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 6
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 40
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)