Aug 21, 2010, 3:55 PM EST
Even if the words are preceded by “minor,” it’s still disturbing to hear news of knee surgery for your $85 million captain. That is the case with Tampa Bay Lightning center Vincent Lecavalier, who will undergo a minor off-season surgery on his knee on August 24.
The Tampa Bay Lightning announced today that center Vincent Lecavalier will undergo a minor arthroscopic procedure on his left knee on Tuesday, August 24 in Tampa. The procedure will be performed by Lightning Orthopedic Surgeon Dr. Ira Guttentag at the Florida Medical Clinic.
The recovery time will be 3-4 weeks and Lecavalier is expected to be ready to participate in the Lightning’s training camp, which begins Friday, September 17.
Even if he takes a little longer to recover, chances are he’ll at least be able to return for the regular season. You wonder why he wasn’t able to detect this problem earlier in the summer, but at least he didn’t wait so long as to impair himself during any games that matter.
Lecavalier has been impressively durable during his NHL career, particularly recently as he played in all but six games the last four seasons. He only scored 70 and 67 points the last two campaigns, but one wonders if an improved front office situation might help the big, talented center focus on hockey instead of everything going on around him.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 68
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 94
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (94)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)