Aug 21, 2010, 3:55 PM EDT
Even if the words are preceded by “minor,” it’s still disturbing to hear news of knee surgery for your $85 million captain. That is the case with Tampa Bay Lightning center Vincent Lecavalier, who will undergo a minor off-season surgery on his knee on August 24.
The Tampa Bay Lightning announced today that center Vincent Lecavalier will undergo a minor arthroscopic procedure on his left knee on Tuesday, August 24 in Tampa. The procedure will be performed by Lightning Orthopedic Surgeon Dr. Ira Guttentag at the Florida Medical Clinic.
The recovery time will be 3-4 weeks and Lecavalier is expected to be ready to participate in the Lightning’s training camp, which begins Friday, September 17.
Even if he takes a little longer to recover, chances are he’ll at least be able to return for the regular season. You wonder why he wasn’t able to detect this problem earlier in the summer, but at least he didn’t wait so long as to impair himself during any games that matter.
Lecavalier has been impressively durable during his NHL career, particularly recently as he played in all but six games the last four seasons. He only scored 70 and 67 points the last two campaigns, but one wonders if an improved front office situation might help the big, talented center focus on hockey instead of everything going on around him.
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 0
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 5
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 15
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 21
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 53
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)