Aug 21, 2010, 11:50 AM EST
Yesterday, Joe touched on the escalating allegations of plagiarism between Maple Leafs blog Pension Plan Puppets and newspaper The Toronto Sun. In case you aren’t up to speed on the subject, the blog put up a translated interview from a Czech source, only to notice that the Sun published a translation that seemed curiously similar.
Things only got worse when the Sun editor provided an explanation that rubbed the bloggers the wrong way.
Even so, I figured the mostly behind-the-scenes squabble would blow over soon enough. It appears that won’t be the case – at least not today – as Pension Plan Puppets claims there’s another discrepancy. After comparing two translations they feel were taken without proper credit, the bloggers left this sharp comment.
Dave, since I know you’re reading this, why don’t you just drop us an email and say “thanks for translating this, can we use the translated quotes?” We would have said “sure”, as long as you gave credit to Rom and now sleza whose work you’ve stolen.
Despite a moderate journalism background, I can’t say that I’m an expert on plagiarism, so I can’t say beyond a shadow of a doubt that David Fuller and the Toronto Sun are guilty. That aside, the translations do seem fishy. Who knows how far this situation will go, but we’ll keep an eye on it for the time being.
- Trade: Rangers land Keith Yandle from Coyotes 4
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 19
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (131)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)