Aug 21, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
Yesterday, Joe touched on the escalating allegations of plagiarism between Maple Leafs blog Pension Plan Puppets and newspaper The Toronto Sun. In case you aren’t up to speed on the subject, the blog put up a translated interview from a Czech source, only to notice that the Sun published a translation that seemed curiously similar.
Things only got worse when the Sun editor provided an explanation that rubbed the bloggers the wrong way.
Even so, I figured the mostly behind-the-scenes squabble would blow over soon enough. It appears that won’t be the case – at least not today – as Pension Plan Puppets claims there’s another discrepancy. After comparing two translations they feel were taken without proper credit, the bloggers left this sharp comment.
Dave, since I know you’re reading this, why don’t you just drop us an email and say “thanks for translating this, can we use the translated quotes?” We would have said “sure”, as long as you gave credit to Rom and now sleza whose work you’ve stolen.
Despite a moderate journalism background, I can’t say that I’m an expert on plagiarism, so I can’t say beyond a shadow of a doubt that David Fuller and the Toronto Sun are guilty. That aside, the translations do seem fishy. Who knows how far this situation will go, but we’ll keep an eye on it for the time being.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)