Aug 20, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins added a little bit more sandpaper to a forward group that – beyond Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin – is actually sneakily rugged by signing Arron Asham today. TSN reports that they nabbed the ex-Philadelphia Flyers depth player to a one-year, $700K contract.
Asham joins a group of forwards who are versatile and tough but can only bring so much offense to the table, like Chris Kunitz, Matt Cooke and Mike Rupp.
The Penguins roster is now nearly full. Adding his $700K to CapGeek’s roster figures, the team will have about $1.4 million left with two spots to fill (13 forwards, six defensemen and two goalies). It will be interesting to see which of those forwards ends up being a healthy scratch most nights. I’d be surprised to see Tyler Kennedy sit in the press box but Penguins blog The Confluence at least brings up that question while Craig Adams and wet-behind-the-ears power forward Eric Tangradi also strike me as possible scratches.
While he won’t cure Pittsburgh’s woes when it comes to scoring wingers, it’s clear that GM Ray Shero wants to make the Penguins a tough team to play against. That’s been the trend ever since Shero shipped floating, turnover-prone offensive defenseman Ryan Whitney to Anaheim for Kunitz and Tangradi; I don’t expect him to buck that trend anytime soon.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 39
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 70
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 9
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 24
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 32
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 65
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 35
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)