Aug 20, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins added a little bit more sandpaper to a forward group that – beyond Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin – is actually sneakily rugged by signing Arron Asham today. TSN reports that they nabbed the ex-Philadelphia Flyers depth player to a one-year, $700K contract.
Asham joins a group of forwards who are versatile and tough but can only bring so much offense to the table, like Chris Kunitz, Matt Cooke and Mike Rupp.
The Penguins roster is now nearly full. Adding his $700K to CapGeek’s roster figures, the team will have about $1.4 million left with two spots to fill (13 forwards, six defensemen and two goalies). It will be interesting to see which of those forwards ends up being a healthy scratch most nights. I’d be surprised to see Tyler Kennedy sit in the press box but Penguins blog The Confluence at least brings up that question while Craig Adams and wet-behind-the-ears power forward Eric Tangradi also strike me as possible scratches.
While he won’t cure Pittsburgh’s woes when it comes to scoring wingers, it’s clear that GM Ray Shero wants to make the Penguins a tough team to play against. That’s been the trend ever since Shero shipped floating, turnover-prone offensive defenseman Ryan Whitney to Anaheim for Kunitz and Tangradi; I don’t expect him to buck that trend anytime soon.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)