Aug 20, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins added a little bit more sandpaper to a forward group that – beyond Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin – is actually sneakily rugged by signing Arron Asham today. TSN reports that they nabbed the ex-Philadelphia Flyers depth player to a one-year, $700K contract.
Asham joins a group of forwards who are versatile and tough but can only bring so much offense to the table, like Chris Kunitz, Matt Cooke and Mike Rupp.
The Penguins roster is now nearly full. Adding his $700K to CapGeek’s roster figures, the team will have about $1.4 million left with two spots to fill (13 forwards, six defensemen and two goalies). It will be interesting to see which of those forwards ends up being a healthy scratch most nights. I’d be surprised to see Tyler Kennedy sit in the press box but Penguins blog The Confluence at least brings up that question while Craig Adams and wet-behind-the-ears power forward Eric Tangradi also strike me as possible scratches.
While he won’t cure Pittsburgh’s woes when it comes to scoring wingers, it’s clear that GM Ray Shero wants to make the Penguins a tough team to play against. That’s been the trend ever since Shero shipped floating, turnover-prone offensive defenseman Ryan Whitney to Anaheim for Kunitz and Tangradi; I don’t expect him to buck that trend anytime soon.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 3
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 2
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)