Aug 20, 2010, 11:05 AM EST
The wacky saga of Bill Sweatt is at an end. The former Blackhawks second round draft pick who was traded this summer in the Kris Versteeg deal to the Toronto Maple Leafs is now a member of the Vancouver Canucks after signing a three-year entry-level deal with the team.
Sweatt, a top player at Colorado College, made a name for himself after failing to reach an agreement with the Maple Leafs and bringing Leafs GM Brian Burke out of his shell to declare rather loudly how he was unable to do so with Sweatt’s agent Scott Norton.
“We liked his (Sweatt’s) foot speed, he has a chance, that’s all,” he wrote. “(But) we are allowed a max of 50 contracts. We would rather save the spot (than continue negotiating a deal with his agent).”
Ending up on the wrong side of Brian Burke always ends up being a bit ugly. In this case, however, Bill Sweatt comes away a winner because he both finds a team to sign with and it ends up being the one that his brother Lee plays for as well. That’s not a bad consolation prize when it all boils down. Expect the Sweatt brothers to play together in Manitoba in the AHL this upcoming season.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)