Aug 20, 2010, 11:05 AM EDT
The wacky saga of Bill Sweatt is at an end. The former Blackhawks second round draft pick who was traded this summer in the Kris Versteeg deal to the Toronto Maple Leafs is now a member of the Vancouver Canucks after signing a three-year entry-level deal with the team.
Sweatt, a top player at Colorado College, made a name for himself after failing to reach an agreement with the Maple Leafs and bringing Leafs GM Brian Burke out of his shell to declare rather loudly how he was unable to do so with Sweatt’s agent Scott Norton.
“We liked his (Sweatt’s) foot speed, he has a chance, that’s all,” he wrote. “(But) we are allowed a max of 50 contracts. We would rather save the spot (than continue negotiating a deal with his agent).”
Ending up on the wrong side of Brian Burke always ends up being a bit ugly. In this case, however, Bill Sweatt comes away a winner because he both finds a team to sign with and it ends up being the one that his brother Lee plays for as well. That’s not a bad consolation prize when it all boils down. Expect the Sweatt brothers to play together in Manitoba in the AHL this upcoming season.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)