Aug 19, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
It seems pretty clear that the St. Louis Blues like to honor their past heroes with statues. (Either that, or John Davidson is a descendant of Jabba the Hutt.)
Jeremy Rutherford of The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the team will make Brett Hull their third player to receive such an honor, joining Bernie Federko and Al MacInnis.
The club announced today that a third statue, honoring legendary Blues goal-scorer Brett Hull, will be unveiled prior to the team’s season opener Oct. 9.
Last season, the Blues unveiled MacInnis’ statue in front of Scottrade Center and also moved Federko’s statue outdoors, after it had been on display inside the arena for several years.
The Blues announced last season that Hull would receive the honor during the 2010-11, and now the date has been set – before the season opener against the Philadelphia Flyers.
Hull enjoyed the greatest seasons of his fantastic goal-scoring career during his 10 years in St. Louis, hitting now-absurd totals of 72, 86 and 70 goals between the 89-90 and 91-92 seasons. In those many of those Blues years he made great music with Adam Oates, a pass-shoot-score combo that warmed the hearts of pun makers everywhere as “Hull and Oates.”
Perhaps this my age showing, but when I think of the St. Louis Blues, the first player who pops into my head his Hull. He was an incredible goal scorer there and during Stanley Cup winning runs with the Detroit Red Wings and Dallas Stars. Congratulations to the former(?) Ambassador of Fun on another great achievement.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 24
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)