Aug 19, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
I’ve brought new Atlanta Thrashers GM Rick Dudley’s fixation on muscle and toughness up a few times already, but fellow former Chicago Blackhawks front office member Dale Tallon likes adding bruisers as well. The new Florida Panthers GM signed tough forward Andrew Peters to a one-year, two-way deal according to George Richards.
At 6’4″, 240 lbs., Peters adds another large, menacing presence to a Southeast Division that is transitioning from a finesse-driven group dominated by the Washington Capitals to a stable of feisty squads … probably still dominated by the Capitals.
Peters engaged in nine fights in 29 games last season according to Hockeyfights.com. Two of those fights were with Thrashers fighter Eric Boulton, so it should be easy to predict that those two will scrap a few times next season with the increased exposure that comes with being division opponents. (Hockey Fights’ polls found that Peters “won” their first fight while the second one was voted a “draw.”)
While I think that the impact of enforcers is declining a bit in the NHL, tough guys will probably have a place as long as fighting is legal. If that holds true, the Andrew Peters of the world will rarely have trouble finding work.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (74)