Aug 18, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks have apparently made a rather intriguing signing today. TSN’s Ryan Rishaug tweeted that the Hawks have signed former Oilers forward Fernando Pisani to a one-year, $500,000 deal. Pisani is best remembered as being one of the Oilers most key members of their 2006 Stanley Cup finals team as Pisani proved to be one of the more clutch players during the playoffs.
Since then, Pisani has struggled mightily with staying healthy. In 2008 he broke his ankle and missed most of the 2008-2009 season. Pisani has also struggled with ulcerative colitis, a condition he’s since become a spokesman for to drum up attention for and fight back against the disease. Provided that Pisani can stay healthy and overcome his many struggles, he becomes a low-risk, high-reward kind of player for the Blackhawks and when you’re operating on a limited budget the way they are, those are risks worth taking.
If you’ve forgotten anything about Pisani’s game, and playing out of the spotlight in Edmonton can make that happen sometimes, David Staples of the Edmonton Journal went above and beyond the call of duty to provide a deep, statistical analysis of his game. It’s worth checking out. Now let’s just hope the Blackhawks don’t get too crazy with their goal songs and adopt a certain song by ABBA to accompany this signing. Long live Chelsea Dagger.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 0
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 40
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 12
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)