Aug 18, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks have apparently made a rather intriguing signing today. TSN’s Ryan Rishaug tweeted that the Hawks have signed former Oilers forward Fernando Pisani to a one-year, $500,000 deal. Pisani is best remembered as being one of the Oilers most key members of their 2006 Stanley Cup finals team as Pisani proved to be one of the more clutch players during the playoffs.
Since then, Pisani has struggled mightily with staying healthy. In 2008 he broke his ankle and missed most of the 2008-2009 season. Pisani has also struggled with ulcerative colitis, a condition he’s since become a spokesman for to drum up attention for and fight back against the disease. Provided that Pisani can stay healthy and overcome his many struggles, he becomes a low-risk, high-reward kind of player for the Blackhawks and when you’re operating on a limited budget the way they are, those are risks worth taking.
If you’ve forgotten anything about Pisani’s game, and playing out of the spotlight in Edmonton can make that happen sometimes, David Staples of the Edmonton Journal went above and beyond the call of duty to provide a deep, statistical analysis of his game. It’s worth checking out. Now let’s just hope the Blackhawks don’t get too crazy with their goal songs and adopt a certain song by ABBA to accompany this signing. Long live Chelsea Dagger.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)