Aug 18, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
The Islanders announced a pair of AHL-bound signings today and one of those names might stand out for fans on Long Island. The Isles came to terms with forwards Andy Hilbert and Rob Hisey and if Hilbert’s name rings a bell, that’s because you’ve heard him mentioned with the Islanders before. If you’ve been looking for proof that you can go home again, look no further than Andy Hilbert.
Hilbert, originally a 2000 2nd round pick of the Boston Bruins, spent three years with the New York Islanders. Those three years are what many fans would describe as “frustrating” as Hilbert scored 37 goals and had 44 assists in that time with the Isles. Many fans thought they were getting a late-bloomer after showing some flashes of breaking out with the Penguins in 2005-2006, but as it turned out, it was not meant to be. Hilbert spent last season in the Minnesota Wild organization playing most of the season with the Houston Aeros of the AHL scoring 9 goals and 16 assists in 33 games for the Aeros.
Hisey comes over from the Springfield Falcons after scoring 11 goals and adding 14 assists in 37 games in the AHL. Both Hisey and Hilbert figure to be headed for the AHL to play for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)