Aug 18, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
The Islanders announced a pair of AHL-bound signings today and one of those names might stand out for fans on Long Island. The Isles came to terms with forwards Andy Hilbert and Rob Hisey and if Hilbert’s name rings a bell, that’s because you’ve heard him mentioned with the Islanders before. If you’ve been looking for proof that you can go home again, look no further than Andy Hilbert.
Hilbert, originally a 2000 2nd round pick of the Boston Bruins, spent three years with the New York Islanders. Those three years are what many fans would describe as “frustrating” as Hilbert scored 37 goals and had 44 assists in that time with the Isles. Many fans thought they were getting a late-bloomer after showing some flashes of breaking out with the Penguins in 2005-2006, but as it turned out, it was not meant to be. Hilbert spent last season in the Minnesota Wild organization playing most of the season with the Houston Aeros of the AHL scoring 9 goals and 16 assists in 33 games for the Aeros.
Hisey comes over from the Springfield Falcons after scoring 11 goals and adding 14 assists in 37 games in the AHL. Both Hisey and Hilbert figure to be headed for the AHL to play for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)