Aug 18, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
The Islanders announced a pair of AHL-bound signings today and one of those names might stand out for fans on Long Island. The Isles came to terms with forwards Andy Hilbert and Rob Hisey and if Hilbert’s name rings a bell, that’s because you’ve heard him mentioned with the Islanders before. If you’ve been looking for proof that you can go home again, look no further than Andy Hilbert.
Hilbert, originally a 2000 2nd round pick of the Boston Bruins, spent three years with the New York Islanders. Those three years are what many fans would describe as “frustrating” as Hilbert scored 37 goals and had 44 assists in that time with the Isles. Many fans thought they were getting a late-bloomer after showing some flashes of breaking out with the Penguins in 2005-2006, but as it turned out, it was not meant to be. Hilbert spent last season in the Minnesota Wild organization playing most of the season with the Houston Aeros of the AHL scoring 9 goals and 16 assists in 33 games for the Aeros.
Hisey comes over from the Springfield Falcons after scoring 11 goals and adding 14 assists in 37 games in the AHL. Both Hisey and Hilbert figure to be headed for the AHL to play for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)