Aug 18, 2010, 4:51 PM EST
The Islanders announced a pair of AHL-bound signings today and one of those names might stand out for fans on Long Island. The Isles came to terms with forwards Andy Hilbert and Rob Hisey and if Hilbert’s name rings a bell, that’s because you’ve heard him mentioned with the Islanders before. If you’ve been looking for proof that you can go home again, look no further than Andy Hilbert.
Hilbert, originally a 2000 2nd round pick of the Boston Bruins, spent three years with the New York Islanders. Those three years are what many fans would describe as “frustrating” as Hilbert scored 37 goals and had 44 assists in that time with the Isles. Many fans thought they were getting a late-bloomer after showing some flashes of breaking out with the Penguins in 2005-2006, but as it turned out, it was not meant to be. Hilbert spent last season in the Minnesota Wild organization playing most of the season with the Houston Aeros of the AHL scoring 9 goals and 16 assists in 33 games for the Aeros.
Hisey comes over from the Springfield Falcons after scoring 11 goals and adding 14 assists in 37 games in the AHL. Both Hisey and Hilbert figure to be headed for the AHL to play for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 43
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)