Aug 17, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets bowed out a little early from the Tomas Kaberle sweepstakes that never actually took place Sunday night, but the Columbus Post-Dispatch reports that the team did at least kick the tires on a trade.
The Blue Jackets offered no players from their NHL roster in trade talks with Toronto for Tomas Kaberle, the Dispatch has learned. This is hardly surprising given that Kaberle had only one season remaining on his deal. (Some of the projected proposals — i.e. Jake Voracek — were entertaining.) It’s believed the Jackets’ offer was centered around draft picks and prospects. While Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke said he was looking for a top-6 forward — hey, there’s nothing wrong with putting that out in the media, right? — it’s thought he was amenable to draft picks or prospects or a combination of both.
Clearly, Burke did not get what he wanted from the Jackets or anyone else.
It seems like Brian Burke really boxed himself into a win-now corner, which is a problem considering the fact that the Toronto Maple Leafs lack much in the way of world-beating talent. While it’s too easy to say “the Leafs would have had Tyler Seguin if they didn’t trade for Phil Kessel,” it’s no doubt that the NHL has its fair share of teams who made quick reboots thanks to timely draft picks.
Would the Leafs have been better off trading Kaberle for prospects or picks? Maybe. What’s somewhat clear that the Dallas Stars, Columbus Blue Jackets or other teams really could have used the smooth skating defenseman if the price was right.
Of course, the price wasn’t.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)