Aug 17, 2010, 7:13 PM EDT
While other teams have been nearly allergic to making moves this summer, Steve Yzerman and the Tampa Bay Lightning have been overly busy trying to right the ship in Florida. Today, the team announced the signing of former Islanders forward Sean Bergenheim to a one-year contract.
Bergenheim is a player with some intrigue and a player that could find that a change of scenery is what he could use to boost his career. In five seasons with the Islanders, he’s scored 40 goals and had 40 assists. Averaging less than 20 points per season is a good way, generally, to find yourself out of work if your role is viewed as being an offensive player. Then again, playing for the Islanders and having three straight 20+ point seasons could be viewed as a success just the same.
For Bergenheim, he’ll get a shot to find a home on the third or fourth lines in Tampa Bay where they absolutely do need some quality depth. The Lightning’s potential third and fourth lines have looked to be a bit terrifying given the seeming lack of depth and while there are some players from within the organization that will get a shot (Johan Harju coming over from Sweden for instance) getting quality NHL depth was a must and Bergenheim ideally fits that bill. While the names might not blow people away, Yzerman is helping fill out the Lightning roster with quality role players with experience at the NHL level. Those sorts of players can help you win big games just as much as superstars can.
(Photo: Jim McIsaac – Getty Images)
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)