Aug 17, 2010, 7:13 PM EST
While other teams have been nearly allergic to making moves this summer, Steve Yzerman and the Tampa Bay Lightning have been overly busy trying to right the ship in Florida. Today, the team announced the signing of former Islanders forward Sean Bergenheim to a one-year contract.
Bergenheim is a player with some intrigue and a player that could find that a change of scenery is what he could use to boost his career. In five seasons with the Islanders, he’s scored 40 goals and had 40 assists. Averaging less than 20 points per season is a good way, generally, to find yourself out of work if your role is viewed as being an offensive player. Then again, playing for the Islanders and having three straight 20+ point seasons could be viewed as a success just the same.
For Bergenheim, he’ll get a shot to find a home on the third or fourth lines in Tampa Bay where they absolutely do need some quality depth. The Lightning’s potential third and fourth lines have looked to be a bit terrifying given the seeming lack of depth and while there are some players from within the organization that will get a shot (Johan Harju coming over from Sweden for instance) getting quality NHL depth was a must and Bergenheim ideally fits that bill. While the names might not blow people away, Yzerman is helping fill out the Lightning roster with quality role players with experience at the NHL level. Those sorts of players can help you win big games just as much as superstars can.
(Photo: Jim McIsaac – Getty Images)
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 4
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 25
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 6
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 16
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 8
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27