Aug 16, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
We’ve covered the considerable amount of talent on hand for the NHL’s research and development camp as well as what kind of rules changes will be tested, but there’s some great news from the league regarding coverage of the proceedings. Apparently, NHL.com and the NHL Network will carry some shows/interviews/other information on the events.
Here are a few tidbits from a press release from the league. (The full release can be found here.)
NHL Network’s “2010 NHL Research, Development and Orientation Camp fueled by G-Series” show will air each night of the Camp (August 18-19) from 9:00 – 9:30p.m. ET and provide a full re-cap and analysis from that day’s testing. Host Brian Duff and Analyst Mike Johnson will take viewers inside the Camp through exclusive interviews with NHL VP of Hockey and Business Operations Brendan Shanahan, veteran NHL coaches Ken Hitchcock and Dave King, prospects from the upcoming 2011 NHL Entry Draft and more. NHL Net also will take a look at Gatorade’s G Series and speak with doctors onsite about the science involved with this product and how it helps players reach their potential.
NHL.com will take fans on-site and behind-the-scenes with updates throughout the day with all the sights, sounds and breaking news coming out of the Camp. Coverage includes exclusive locker room access for the player briefings and audio from Coach Hitchcock and Coach King who will be miked during the testing, along with reactions from NHL hockey operations, general managers, players and coaches.
Sounds pretty cool to me.
People have been critical of NHL Network at times, but I think they’re getting their act together in a nice way. I’d love to see more original programming from the channel, but they do a lot of things correctly. The network covers a nice amount of live games during the season, includes the excellent NHL on the Fly recap show and some cool features like their current “Raising the Cup” series which features each Cup clinching game since the the Flyers 1975 win.
Who knows if this camp will be much more than a glorified sponsorship plug. We’ll keep our eyes on it to see if anything interesting comes from it.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 9
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 18
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 94
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (94)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- PBT: LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games