Aug 16, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
We’ve covered the considerable amount of talent on hand for the NHL’s research and development camp as well as what kind of rules changes will be tested, but there’s some great news from the league regarding coverage of the proceedings. Apparently, NHL.com and the NHL Network will carry some shows/interviews/other information on the events.
Here are a few tidbits from a press release from the league. (The full release can be found here.)
NHL Network’s “2010 NHL Research, Development and Orientation Camp fueled by G-Series” show will air each night of the Camp (August 18-19) from 9:00 – 9:30p.m. ET and provide a full re-cap and analysis from that day’s testing. Host Brian Duff and Analyst Mike Johnson will take viewers inside the Camp through exclusive interviews with NHL VP of Hockey and Business Operations Brendan Shanahan, veteran NHL coaches Ken Hitchcock and Dave King, prospects from the upcoming 2011 NHL Entry Draft and more. NHL Net also will take a look at Gatorade’s G Series and speak with doctors onsite about the science involved with this product and how it helps players reach their potential.
NHL.com will take fans on-site and behind-the-scenes with updates throughout the day with all the sights, sounds and breaking news coming out of the Camp. Coverage includes exclusive locker room access for the player briefings and audio from Coach Hitchcock and Coach King who will be miked during the testing, along with reactions from NHL hockey operations, general managers, players and coaches.
Sounds pretty cool to me.
People have been critical of NHL Network at times, but I think they’re getting their act together in a nice way. I’d love to see more original programming from the channel, but they do a lot of things correctly. The network covers a nice amount of live games during the season, includes the excellent NHL on the Fly recap show and some cool features like their current “Raising the Cup” series which features each Cup clinching game since the the Flyers 1975 win.
Who knows if this camp will be much more than a glorified sponsorship plug. We’ll keep our eyes on it to see if anything interesting comes from it.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 50
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50