Aug 16, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
We’ve covered the considerable amount of talent on hand for the NHL’s research and development camp as well as what kind of rules changes will be tested, but there’s some great news from the league regarding coverage of the proceedings. Apparently, NHL.com and the NHL Network will carry some shows/interviews/other information on the events.
Here are a few tidbits from a press release from the league. (The full release can be found here.)
NHL Network’s “2010 NHL Research, Development and Orientation Camp fueled by G-Series” show will air each night of the Camp (August 18-19) from 9:00 – 9:30p.m. ET and provide a full re-cap and analysis from that day’s testing. Host Brian Duff and Analyst Mike Johnson will take viewers inside the Camp through exclusive interviews with NHL VP of Hockey and Business Operations Brendan Shanahan, veteran NHL coaches Ken Hitchcock and Dave King, prospects from the upcoming 2011 NHL Entry Draft and more. NHL Net also will take a look at Gatorade’s G Series and speak with doctors onsite about the science involved with this product and how it helps players reach their potential.
NHL.com will take fans on-site and behind-the-scenes with updates throughout the day with all the sights, sounds and breaking news coming out of the Camp. Coverage includes exclusive locker room access for the player briefings and audio from Coach Hitchcock and Coach King who will be miked during the testing, along with reactions from NHL hockey operations, general managers, players and coaches.
Sounds pretty cool to me.
People have been critical of NHL Network at times, but I think they’re getting their act together in a nice way. I’d love to see more original programming from the channel, but they do a lot of things correctly. The network covers a nice amount of live games during the season, includes the excellent NHL on the Fly recap show and some cool features like their current “Raising the Cup” series which features each Cup clinching game since the the Flyers 1975 win.
Who knows if this camp will be much more than a glorified sponsorship plug. We’ll keep our eyes on it to see if anything interesting comes from it.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)