Aug 16, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Last night, I emphasized the fact that the Tomas Kaberle saga is far from over. It seems that both Brian Burke and Kaberle’s agent Rick Curran threw the word “relief” around when describing the now-passed window in which the defenseman’s no-trade clause was lifted, but I would add “temporary” to relief in this case.
Still, it’s obvious that Canada’s version of Hollywood stars are hockey players (with the occasional exception being Michael J. Fox, Mike Myers, Celine Dion and Nickelback). By that comparison, the Toronto media* makes up most of the paparazzi.
* – No, that doesn’t mean ALL Toronto media by ANY means. I hope that my use of all caps makes my message as obvious as possible there.
So when you read quotes from Curran and Burke, it’s a bit difficult to tell if you should read between the lines. Is it lip service when Burke says he’s glad to keep Kaberle or could it just be that the Toronto media made the chances of a trade overblown? Either way, Curran says that Kaberle just hopes that things settles down, according to the Toronto Star.
“He’s just trying to get everything back to normal and makes plans to come back to Toronto,” said his agent Rick Curran after speaking with Kaberle this morning.
“He woke up in the morning and he was relieved to know he wasn’t going somewhere he didn’t know he’d be going to.”
“Now,” continued Curran. “I’m just quite hopeful that everything settles down. Let’s just let everything settle down.”
Chances are, things will only settle down for a brief moment. With one year left on his contract, Kaberle will be a natural target for two very different trains of thought: one will focus on the possibility of an extension with the Leafs while the other will revolve around a trade. The latter situation will boil to an Emma Stone level once the trading deadline approaches.
So, yes, Kaberle and Burke (and Curran) can take a brief reprieve from the rumor mongering. Maybe even for the rest of the summer. But like “Saw” sequels, the Kaberle rumors won’t ever go away and – let’s face it – they’ll pretty much be the same old thing over and over again.
Without the silly masks and gore, I hope.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)