Aug 15, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke hasn’t pulled the trigger on a Tomas Kaberle trade yet, but there is news/non-news that has come through recently. The Columbus Post-Dispatch reports that the Blue Jackets are out of the Kaberle sweepstakes.
It appears unlikely Tomas Kaberle is going to be a Blue Jacket — at least any time soon.
The Jackets are no longer in serious contention for Kaberle, an NHL source told the Dispatch. Jackets general manager Scott Howson and Toronto general Brian Burke had several good discussions, the source said, but there’s “no fit there.”
Burke has until midnight to deal the puck-moving defenseman before his no-trade clause kicks back in. There’s a chance the Leafs hold onto him if they don’t like any offer. It seems like Kaberle has been on the market longer than Adam Foote’s house in Columbus.
I didn’t think the Jackets could get a deal done here because they can’t afford to give up what Burke covets — top-6 forwards or ones who potentially could fit the bill.
Kaberle would make an awful lot of sense for Columbus, as their powerplay could really use a quarterback. My guess is that they could potentially offer a decent group of “futures” but maybe they decided Kaberle wouldn’t be worth such a bounty.
Again, we’ll keep you up to date as this clock ticks on the Leafs’ opportunity to move Kaberle without his go-ahead.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic