Aug 15, 2010, 9:20 PM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke hasn’t pulled the trigger on a Tomas Kaberle trade yet, but there is news/non-news that has come through recently. The Columbus Post-Dispatch reports that the Blue Jackets are out of the Kaberle sweepstakes.
It appears unlikely Tomas Kaberle is going to be a Blue Jacket — at least any time soon.
The Jackets are no longer in serious contention for Kaberle, an NHL source told the Dispatch. Jackets general manager Scott Howson and Toronto general Brian Burke had several good discussions, the source said, but there’s “no fit there.”
Burke has until midnight to deal the puck-moving defenseman before his no-trade clause kicks back in. There’s a chance the Leafs hold onto him if they don’t like any offer. It seems like Kaberle has been on the market longer than Adam Foote’s house in Columbus.
I didn’t think the Jackets could get a deal done here because they can’t afford to give up what Burke covets — top-6 forwards or ones who potentially could fit the bill.
Kaberle would make an awful lot of sense for Columbus, as their powerplay could really use a quarterback. My guess is that they could potentially offer a decent group of “futures” but maybe they decided Kaberle wouldn’t be worth such a bounty.
Again, we’ll keep you up to date as this clock ticks on the Leafs’ opportunity to move Kaberle without his go-ahead.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 29
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)