Aug 15, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke hasn’t pulled the trigger on a Tomas Kaberle trade yet, but there is news/non-news that has come through recently. The Columbus Post-Dispatch reports that the Blue Jackets are out of the Kaberle sweepstakes.
It appears unlikely Tomas Kaberle is going to be a Blue Jacket — at least any time soon.
The Jackets are no longer in serious contention for Kaberle, an NHL source told the Dispatch. Jackets general manager Scott Howson and Toronto general Brian Burke had several good discussions, the source said, but there’s “no fit there.”
Burke has until midnight to deal the puck-moving defenseman before his no-trade clause kicks back in. There’s a chance the Leafs hold onto him if they don’t like any offer. It seems like Kaberle has been on the market longer than Adam Foote’s house in Columbus.
I didn’t think the Jackets could get a deal done here because they can’t afford to give up what Burke covets — top-6 forwards or ones who potentially could fit the bill.
Kaberle would make an awful lot of sense for Columbus, as their powerplay could really use a quarterback. My guess is that they could potentially offer a decent group of “futures” but maybe they decided Kaberle wouldn’t be worth such a bounty.
Again, we’ll keep you up to date as this clock ticks on the Leafs’ opportunity to move Kaberle without his go-ahead.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)