Aug 15, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke hasn’t pulled the trigger on a Tomas Kaberle trade yet, but there is news/non-news that has come through recently. The Columbus Post-Dispatch reports that the Blue Jackets are out of the Kaberle sweepstakes.
It appears unlikely Tomas Kaberle is going to be a Blue Jacket — at least any time soon.
The Jackets are no longer in serious contention for Kaberle, an NHL source told the Dispatch. Jackets general manager Scott Howson and Toronto general Brian Burke had several good discussions, the source said, but there’s “no fit there.”
Burke has until midnight to deal the puck-moving defenseman before his no-trade clause kicks back in. There’s a chance the Leafs hold onto him if they don’t like any offer. It seems like Kaberle has been on the market longer than Adam Foote’s house in Columbus.
I didn’t think the Jackets could get a deal done here because they can’t afford to give up what Burke covets — top-6 forwards or ones who potentially could fit the bill.
Kaberle would make an awful lot of sense for Columbus, as their powerplay could really use a quarterback. My guess is that they could potentially offer a decent group of “futures” but maybe they decided Kaberle wouldn’t be worth such a bounty.
Again, we’ll keep you up to date as this clock ticks on the Leafs’ opportunity to move Kaberle without his go-ahead.
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 0
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Datsyuk, Mrazek powers Red Wings past Lightning in Game 1 30