Aug 15, 2010, 9:20 PM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke hasn’t pulled the trigger on a Tomas Kaberle trade yet, but there is news/non-news that has come through recently. The Columbus Post-Dispatch reports that the Blue Jackets are out of the Kaberle sweepstakes.
It appears unlikely Tomas Kaberle is going to be a Blue Jacket — at least any time soon.
The Jackets are no longer in serious contention for Kaberle, an NHL source told the Dispatch. Jackets general manager Scott Howson and Toronto general Brian Burke had several good discussions, the source said, but there’s “no fit there.”
Burke has until midnight to deal the puck-moving defenseman before his no-trade clause kicks back in. There’s a chance the Leafs hold onto him if they don’t like any offer. It seems like Kaberle has been on the market longer than Adam Foote’s house in Columbus.
I didn’t think the Jackets could get a deal done here because they can’t afford to give up what Burke covets — top-6 forwards or ones who potentially could fit the bill.
Kaberle would make an awful lot of sense for Columbus, as their powerplay could really use a quarterback. My guess is that they could potentially offer a decent group of “futures” but maybe they decided Kaberle wouldn’t be worth such a bounty.
Again, we’ll keep you up to date as this clock ticks on the Leafs’ opportunity to move Kaberle without his go-ahead.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)