Aug 15, 2010, 5:51 PM EDT
You can eliminate one team off the potential list of those seeking to trade for Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Tomas Kaberle. It appears the Dallas Stars are not in pursuit of the Leafs star. Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News tells it like it is.
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk said he has had trade talks with a lot of teams, but that the Stars are not one of the teams that will attempt to acquire Toronto defenseman Tomas Kaberle today.
Nieuwendyk said he did not want to talk about a player on another team or whether or not the Stars had interest, but he said the Stars would not be making a trade for Kaberle and had no trades planned right now.
I don’t know that many folks were really counting on the Stars to be serious contenders for Kaberle given what his price tag is ($4.25 million) and the fact that Dallas is playing things a bit tighter to the vest, financially speaking. Not only that, but if the Stars are going to be taking on any extra salary in the meantime, they’re going to use it to re-sign restricted free agents Niklas Grossman and James Neal.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 0
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 34
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54