Aug 14, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
The Canadian under-18 team won its third straight Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament today, beating the U.S. team 1-0 in Piestany, Slovakia. NHL.com has more on that.
Canada made it a hat trick of gold medals at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament, topping the U.S., 1-0, in the final, played at Zimny Stadion in Piestany, Slovakia.
The win is Canada’s third straight at the elite summer under-18 championship, and its sixth title in the last seven years.
“A great effort, a great feeling,” Canada coach George Burnett told Canadian Press. “When you put the time in that these guys have to prepare and go through this whole thing, and to come out on top, it’s a pretty special feeling.”
Canada center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins scored the game’s lone goal just 1:42 into the first period, and Tyson Teichmann made 22 saves to register the shutout. Canada had other chances to grow its lead, but U.S. goalie Steve Michalek stopped 23 of 24 shots, including denying Canada on all four of its power plays.
This marks the seventh time the U.S. team earned a silver medal in this tournament, with the most recent one coming in 2006. The U.S. team was shut out by a Canadian squad on that day, too. In case you were wondering, the U.S. won one gold medal in the event’s history in 2003.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 9
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)