Aug 14, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
The Canadian under-18 team won its third straight Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament today, beating the U.S. team 1-0 in Piestany, Slovakia. NHL.com has more on that.
Canada made it a hat trick of gold medals at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament, topping the U.S., 1-0, in the final, played at Zimny Stadion in Piestany, Slovakia.
The win is Canada’s third straight at the elite summer under-18 championship, and its sixth title in the last seven years.
“A great effort, a great feeling,” Canada coach George Burnett told Canadian Press. “When you put the time in that these guys have to prepare and go through this whole thing, and to come out on top, it’s a pretty special feeling.”
Canada center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins scored the game’s lone goal just 1:42 into the first period, and Tyson Teichmann made 22 saves to register the shutout. Canada had other chances to grow its lead, but U.S. goalie Steve Michalek stopped 23 of 24 shots, including denying Canada on all four of its power plays.
This marks the seventh time the U.S. team earned a silver medal in this tournament, with the most recent one coming in 2006. The U.S. team was shut out by a Canadian squad on that day, too. In case you were wondering, the U.S. won one gold medal in the event’s history in 2003.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)