Aug 14, 2010, 5:20 PM EST
The Canadian under-18 team won its third straight Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament today, beating the U.S. team 1-0 in Piestany, Slovakia. NHL.com has more on that.
Canada made it a hat trick of gold medals at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament, topping the U.S., 1-0, in the final, played at Zimny Stadion in Piestany, Slovakia.
The win is Canada’s third straight at the elite summer under-18 championship, and its sixth title in the last seven years.
“A great effort, a great feeling,” Canada coach George Burnett told Canadian Press. “When you put the time in that these guys have to prepare and go through this whole thing, and to come out on top, it’s a pretty special feeling.”
Canada center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins scored the game’s lone goal just 1:42 into the first period, and Tyson Teichmann made 22 saves to register the shutout. Canada had other chances to grow its lead, but U.S. goalie Steve Michalek stopped 23 of 24 shots, including denying Canada on all four of its power plays.
This marks the seventh time the U.S. team earned a silver medal in this tournament, with the most recent one coming in 2006. The U.S. team was shut out by a Canadian squad on that day, too. In case you were wondering, the U.S. won one gold medal in the event’s history in 2003.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)