Aug 14, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
The Canadian under-18 team won its third straight Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament today, beating the U.S. team 1-0 in Piestany, Slovakia. NHL.com has more on that.
Canada made it a hat trick of gold medals at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament, topping the U.S., 1-0, in the final, played at Zimny Stadion in Piestany, Slovakia.
The win is Canada’s third straight at the elite summer under-18 championship, and its sixth title in the last seven years.
“A great effort, a great feeling,” Canada coach George Burnett told Canadian Press. “When you put the time in that these guys have to prepare and go through this whole thing, and to come out on top, it’s a pretty special feeling.”
Canada center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins scored the game’s lone goal just 1:42 into the first period, and Tyson Teichmann made 22 saves to register the shutout. Canada had other chances to grow its lead, but U.S. goalie Steve Michalek stopped 23 of 24 shots, including denying Canada on all four of its power plays.
This marks the seventh time the U.S. team earned a silver medal in this tournament, with the most recent one coming in 2006. The U.S. team was shut out by a Canadian squad on that day, too. In case you were wondering, the U.S. won one gold medal in the event’s history in 2003.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)