Aug 13, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
There’s no denying that the hockey blogosphere – and any other platform featuring hockey writers – can be a competitive place. Sometimes that’s a bad thing, especially when it encourages certain people to falsify rumors – or even worse – claim that they got a scoop that originated from somewhere else. Other times, it results in a beautiful chain reaction in which creative types push each other to crank out work of increasing quality; in those cases the readers are the truest winners.
With that thought in mind, I’d like to sadly pass along a note that The Sporting News decided to shut down many of its blogging endeavors, which includes their “The Grinder” hockey blog.
To me, the thing that made that blog stand out was the work of Craig Custance. He would often find a different angle – or provide further illumination – upon a big-ticket news item while also pumping out that material in a timely fashion.
While there is little doubt that blogs are changing the way hockey fans get their news, analysis and snark, bigger media companies must experiment with the medium. Perhaps The Sporting News will come back with a similar effort in the future, but right now, it’s sad to see a solid blog bite the dust.
We hope that you’ve enjoyed Pro Hockey Talk so far. I think I can speak for Joe Yerdon when I say that we hope to cover the NHL in a unique and comprehensive way for a long time to come.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)