Aug 13, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
The free agent market has been unfriendly to veteran talent – That’s just AGEISM, man.
Kings beat reporter shoots down rumor that was wrongfully attributed to him – One of those stories that justifies those typical “The Internet is the Wild West” discussions.
Could the Capitals trade Dave Steckel? – I’m a sucker for those faceoff specialists. Blame video games.
Panthers loan Alexander Salak to the Swedish Elite League – Hopefully those Swedes aren’t like my third grade best friend or they’ll never see their copy of “The Outsiders” – er, goalie – again.
Bob Probert’s family agrees to publish his memoirs – Please tell me that “punching” will be in the title of that book … or at least some kind of “probing” pun. (Seriously, though, that could be a great read.)
Cam Janssen dismisses baseball fights – Is it me or are hockey players modest … except when it comes to talking about how tough they are? I mean, they are super-tough, but still.
Patrick Kane gets stuck on a fire truck ladder during his day with the Cup – There aren’t many dull moments with that kid, on or off the ice.
Peter Forsberg’s not optimistic about a return - It’s not surprising to read about Foppa’s health problems, but they do kind of bum me out.
Bill Daly draws a line in the sand about contracts – Even if that line is still kind of … subjective.
The best seasons for players over 35 – Gordie Howe is like fine wine, if fine wine could hurt you really badly in its prime.
THN’s top 10 players – Is Jonathan Toews really a top-10 player? What about Steven Stamkos?
What about … Patrick O’Sullivan? – He has his warts, for sure, but at the right price he could be a steal.
The Sporting News closes down its hockey blog – Saying goodbye to “The Grinder.”
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)