Aug 13, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
The free agent market has been unfriendly to veteran talent – That’s just AGEISM, man.
Kings beat reporter shoots down rumor that was wrongfully attributed to him – One of those stories that justifies those typical “The Internet is the Wild West” discussions.
Could the Capitals trade Dave Steckel? – I’m a sucker for those faceoff specialists. Blame video games.
Panthers loan Alexander Salak to the Swedish Elite League – Hopefully those Swedes aren’t like my third grade best friend or they’ll never see their copy of “The Outsiders” – er, goalie – again.
Bob Probert’s family agrees to publish his memoirs – Please tell me that “punching” will be in the title of that book … or at least some kind of “probing” pun. (Seriously, though, that could be a great read.)
Cam Janssen dismisses baseball fights – Is it me or are hockey players modest … except when it comes to talking about how tough they are? I mean, they are super-tough, but still.
Patrick Kane gets stuck on a fire truck ladder during his day with the Cup – There aren’t many dull moments with that kid, on or off the ice.
Peter Forsberg’s not optimistic about a return – It’s not surprising to read about Foppa’s health problems, but they do kind of bum me out.
Bill Daly draws a line in the sand about contracts – Even if that line is still kind of … subjective.
The best seasons for players over 35 – Gordie Howe is like fine wine, if fine wine could hurt you really badly in its prime.
THN’s top 10 players – Is Jonathan Toews really a top-10 player? What about Steven Stamkos?
What about … Patrick O’Sullivan? – He has his warts, for sure, but at the right price he could be a steal.
The Sporting News closes down its hockey blog – Saying goodbye to “The Grinder.”
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 22
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)