Aug 13, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
The death of former enforcer extraordinaire Bob Probert saddened and surprised many an NHL fan. What fans may not have known is that the former Red Wings and Blackhawks pugilist was working on writing a book to talk about his days in the NHL. Today, Probert’s family announced that they will go ahead with the release of the book in light of Probert’s sudden passing.
“Tough Guy,” due to be published Oct. 26, will recount his career with the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks when he was one of the most feared players in the game, and also delve into his off-ice troubles.
Porbert was co-writing the book with Kirstie McLellan Day before he suffered a heart attack and died last month.
“He was really excited and happy about the opportunity to tell it like it really was–behind the headlines,” Dani Probert, his widow, said in a statement released by publisher HarperCollinsCanada. “After much deliberation, my family and I have decided to fulfil Bob’s dream and publish the book.”
You might know Kirstie McLellan Day’s name already as she’s the author who also helped write Theo Fleury’s book which was released last year detailing his difficult story growing up with an abusive coach and his struggles with personal demons.
Needless to say, “Tough Guy” moves to the front of the list of must-reads for this hockey fan. Getting to read of Probert’s life on and off the ice from the man himself should prove to be quite powerful.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)