Aug 13, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
The death of former enforcer extraordinaire Bob Probert saddened and surprised many an NHL fan. What fans may not have known is that the former Red Wings and Blackhawks pugilist was working on writing a book to talk about his days in the NHL. Today, Probert’s family announced that they will go ahead with the release of the book in light of Probert’s sudden passing.
“Tough Guy,” due to be published Oct. 26, will recount his career with the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks when he was one of the most feared players in the game, and also delve into his off-ice troubles.
Porbert was co-writing the book with Kirstie McLellan Day before he suffered a heart attack and died last month.
“He was really excited and happy about the opportunity to tell it like it really was–behind the headlines,” Dani Probert, his widow, said in a statement released by publisher HarperCollinsCanada. “After much deliberation, my family and I have decided to fulfil Bob’s dream and publish the book.”
You might know Kirstie McLellan Day’s name already as she’s the author who also helped write Theo Fleury’s book which was released last year detailing his difficult story growing up with an abusive coach and his struggles with personal demons.
Needless to say, “Tough Guy” moves to the front of the list of must-reads for this hockey fan. Getting to read of Probert’s life on and off the ice from the man himself should prove to be quite powerful.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)