Aug 13, 2010, 2:49 PM EST
The death of former enforcer extraordinaire Bob Probert saddened and surprised many an NHL fan. What fans may not have known is that the former Red Wings and Blackhawks pugilist was working on writing a book to talk about his days in the NHL. Today, Probert’s family announced that they will go ahead with the release of the book in light of Probert’s sudden passing.
“Tough Guy,” due to be published Oct. 26, will recount his career with the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks when he was one of the most feared players in the game, and also delve into his off-ice troubles.
Porbert was co-writing the book with Kirstie McLellan Day before he suffered a heart attack and died last month.
“He was really excited and happy about the opportunity to tell it like it really was–behind the headlines,” Dani Probert, his widow, said in a statement released by publisher HarperCollinsCanada. “After much deliberation, my family and I have decided to fulfil Bob’s dream and publish the book.”
You might know Kirstie McLellan Day’s name already as she’s the author who also helped write Theo Fleury’s book which was released last year detailing his difficult story growing up with an abusive coach and his struggles with personal demons.
Needless to say, “Tough Guy” moves to the front of the list of must-reads for this hockey fan. Getting to read of Probert’s life on and off the ice from the man himself should prove to be quite powerful.
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 0
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 6
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 15
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 42
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)