Aug 13, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
The death of former enforcer extraordinaire Bob Probert saddened and surprised many an NHL fan. What fans may not have known is that the former Red Wings and Blackhawks pugilist was working on writing a book to talk about his days in the NHL. Today, Probert’s family announced that they will go ahead with the release of the book in light of Probert’s sudden passing.
“Tough Guy,” due to be published Oct. 26, will recount his career with the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks when he was one of the most feared players in the game, and also delve into his off-ice troubles.
Porbert was co-writing the book with Kirstie McLellan Day before he suffered a heart attack and died last month.
“He was really excited and happy about the opportunity to tell it like it really was–behind the headlines,” Dani Probert, his widow, said in a statement released by publisher HarperCollinsCanada. “After much deliberation, my family and I have decided to fulfil Bob’s dream and publish the book.”
You might know Kirstie McLellan Day’s name already as she’s the author who also helped write Theo Fleury’s book which was released last year detailing his difficult story growing up with an abusive coach and his struggles with personal demons.
Needless to say, “Tough Guy” moves to the front of the list of must-reads for this hockey fan. Getting to read of Probert’s life on and off the ice from the man himself should prove to be quite powerful.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)