Aug 12, 2010, 2:50 PM EST
There are a lot of tough jobs in the NHL, particularly when it comes to selling tickets for teams who aren’t dominating the league.
One of the toughest of all might be selling tickets for the Dallas Stars this summer. The team wasn’t exactly selling like hot cakes last year, but after losing two long-time fan favorites in Mike Modano and Marty Turco, the uphill battle is turning into scaling a mountain.
Perhaps it’s a strategy born out of necessity, but the Stars are promoting team … in fact they’re putting it in ALL CAPS. Here is more about the Stars TEAM marketing campaign via Mark Stepneski of ESPN Dallas.
It’s a message that GM Joe Nieuwendyk and Marc Crawford will push and it’s a message that the team’s marketing staff will capitalize on as well.
“Your marketing message for the year has to flow up from an authentic place; it flows up from the team because you are trying to encapsulate the best of your team. This year it is: ‘It’s About TEAM’ and team will be in all capital letters,” Geoff Moore, executive vice president for sales and marketing. “It’s because the Dallas Stars were not built by one player. Certain players had more to do with it than others, but it was always about a team. “
That emphasis on team was a staple of the Bob Gainey-Ken Hitchcock era, when the Stars had their great run in the late 90′s and it continues as the Stars move into a new era.
“What did Bob Gainey and Ken Hitchcock preach every single day? It was about the team,” said Moore. “With Dave Tippett it was if everything you do is for the best of the team then you can’t go wrong. That’s what Joe and Marc are pushing forward – that if you work hard for each other every day then you can’t go wrong.”
Aw, does that mean that TEAM isn’t some contrived acronym? That kind of bums me out.
The Stars organization must cope with plenty of hurdles – from departing heroes of the past to bankrupt owners and maybe even a questionable coach and GM – but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any positives to look at. While their defense is suspect and their main goalie lacks consistency, they have a nice group of forwards to build around.
Some might even say that they have a pretty good TEAM, but I’d ask that they stop screaming.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 62
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (114)