Report: Eric Belanger's mystery team is the Washington Capitals; is Tomas Fleischmann on his way out?
Aug 12, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
(Note: as always, it is important to note that the REPORT in the headline of this story. The Capitals have not confirmed anything yet, but it’s reasonable to say that Eric Belanger will be a member of their team next season.)
Last night, we discussed the somewhat odd story circulating that Eric Belanger had signed with a team but couldn’t announce which one it was because that team was looking to make space for him. It seems all but certain that his “new” team will be his “old” team as James Mirtle and other media members report that he’ll re-sign with the Washington Capitals.
Mirtle reports that it will be a one-year deal that will give the versatile forward a modest raise to $1.85 million (his previous salary was $1.75 million).
The most interesting aspect might not be Belanger signing with the Capitals, but rather who Washington will trade to make room for the forward … or perhaps more precisely, which defenseman they may add to bolster their nearly-set roster. Here is more on that subject from Mirtle.
Washington apparently does not want to announce they’ve signed Belanger in order to help first complete another deal, potentially to move out a forward and bring in a defenceman. I’m told that one player the Caps are looking to trade is 26-year-old Tomas Fleishmann, who had 23 goals and 51 points in a bit of a breakout season last year and signed a one-year, $2.6-million deal this summer.
The one trade the hockey world is expecting in the next few days, meanwhile, is that of Leafs defenceman Tomas Kaberle, whose no-trade clause comes back into effect on Monday. While Washington was rumoured interested in him in the past, Leafs GM Brian Burke said they are not one of the 10 teams that have enquired about Kaberle’s availability.
“We are not in discussions with the Capitals about Tomas Kaberle,” Burke said. “Not once.”
You really have to love Brian Burke. He must be the most entertaining GM in hockey, at least from a “public persona” perspective.
It may take some time to get the official word, especially if the team is still in the negotiation process, but we’ll let you know when (or if) something happens.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (105)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)