Aug 12, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
It seems like going to Northern Ireland is a big enough hockey adventure, but what about … Israel?
Hockey Night in Canada correspondent Jeff Marek is teaching hockey to kids who never get the chance to play on ice and the experience seems nothing short of fascinating. Here is a brief snippet of what it’s like, although I highly recommend that you read the whole thing.
For many of these kids hockey starts outdoors, like it does with Canadians, but not on frozen rinks, but roller rinks. Or backyards, or anywhere that has any significant stretch of pavement. Much of the gear is roller hockey equipment as well. Outdoors with wheels – not blades – on their feet, these kids fall in love with the game of hockey and all dream of playing it on the ice but that’s tough in Israel. You see, Israel only has one rink.
We do drills. A lot of drills.
And much of it involves getting the roller hockey out of the ice hockey player.
You’ve seen roller puck before, right? Lots of wide turns and peeling away from the play. And on the first day of camp during either pylon drills or controlled scrimmage the turns were wide. I’ve seen ships buttonhook tighter. Six days into the camp and we’re getting there. The kids are learning how to use both their inside and outside edges and are learning a lesson that makes your legs ache but is a reality of playing hockey: when you lose the puck, wide turns don’t cut it. Stops and starts, dude. That’s how we roll (pardon the pun).
Stories like these make it sad to hear that frozen rinks might be in decline. Marek describes hockey hopefuls who only seem to “groan” when they must give way for public skates, rather than complaining about doing more Herbies.
Hockey won’t likely build a stronghold in fish-out-of-water locations like Mexico or Israel, but it’s awesome to see people like Marek try to grow the sport in non-traditional locations. After all, you’ve heard those NHL Network ads; hockey is for everyone.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)