Aug 12, 2010, 10:50 PM EST
For the duration of the summer while each of the Chicago Blackhawks got their day with the Cup, I’m not sure there was a more highly anticipated day than the one that’s upon us now. Tomorrow is Patrick Kane’s day with the Cup. John Vogl of the Buffalo News has the potentially hilarious task of following Patrick Kane as he takes it home to Buffalo. Vogl runs down a list of the sites where Kane will be taking the Cup and Friday will be filled with doing some good things with it.
Early rumors of the 21-year-old escorting the gleaming chalice to Niagara Falls turned out to be true, as he and the Cup will be at the Cave of the Winds in Niagara Falls State Park on the Hurricane Deck at 8:30 a.m.
At 11 a.m., Kane will meet pediatric and adult cancer patients at Roswell Park. At 12:30 p.m., he will thank local steelworkers for their painted tribute “(Buzz) Pat Kane Wins Stanley Cup” on the sixth-floor steel beam at the Global Vascular Institute, under construction behind Buffalo General Hospital.
Then from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Buffalo Police and Fire Department members and their families are invited to see the Cup on the grounds of The New Era Cap Company Headquarters on Delaware Avenue.
One year ago Kane made headlines by punching a Buffalo cabbie in a dispute over 20 cents on his fare. Amazing and incredible enough, just over a calendar year later he’s back home bringing the Stanley Cup around to share it with everyone in the western New York city. Of course, it wouldn’t be a Patrick Kane story if there wasn’t the high potential to have something funny go down along the way.
Kane will bring the Cup back to Chicago on Saturday night and has promised to bring it to the Jimmy Buffett concert at Toyota Park.
Patrick Kane with the Stanley Cup surrounded by thousands of Parrot Heads with oodles of Captain Morgan and Corona to be had? Yeah, I can’t see this one ending badly. That said, drinking a pina colada out of the Stanley Cup might be one of the single greatest visuals I can imagine. Add in the over-the-top moment of maybe having Kane fully act out the song “Fins” and I don’t even know how to process all these glorious visuals of potential inebriated stupor. Just make sure that someone buys that man a “Cheeseburger in Paradise.”
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)