Aug 11, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
While the actual product seems a few strides behind EA Sports’ offerings, 2K Sports is doing a lot of things right with the marketing of their hockey games. (Although the hockey moms gimmick last year was … questionable.)
Last season, they made the obvious choice to make Alex Ovechkin the cover star of “NHL 2K10″ and the not-so-obvious choice to have him promote the game in some strange ways. This time around, they’re running fan-friendly tours to show off the game.
In this video, LA Kings defenseman Jack Johnson gets destroyed by a six-year-old kid. (To be fair, from the clips they’ve shown, both are much better than The Royal Half and I. Our experience with the game was a flailing failure. Or pehaps a flailure.)
As we reported earlier this week, the game will be released earlier than expected on August 24. Who knows if the game will be a hit, but the marketing campaign earns points for creativity … and dare I say it, cuteness.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21