Aug 11, 2010, 10:30 PM EST
While the actual product seems a few strides behind EA Sports’ offerings, 2K Sports is doing a lot of things right with the marketing of their hockey games. (Although the hockey moms gimmick last year was … questionable.)
Last season, they made the obvious choice to make Alex Ovechkin the cover star of “NHL 2K10″ and the not-so-obvious choice to have him promote the game in some strange ways. This time around, they’re running fan-friendly tours to show off the game.
In this video, LA Kings defenseman Jack Johnson gets destroyed by a six-year-old kid. (To be fair, from the clips they’ve shown, both are much better than The Royal Half and I. Our experience with the game was a flailing failure. Or pehaps a flailure.)
As we reported earlier this week, the game will be released earlier than expected on August 24. Who knows if the game will be a hit, but the marketing campaign earns points for creativity … and dare I say it, cuteness.
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 7
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3