Aug 11, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
While the actual product seems a few strides behind EA Sports’ offerings, 2K Sports is doing a lot of things right with the marketing of their hockey games. (Although the hockey moms gimmick last year was … questionable.)
Last season, they made the obvious choice to make Alex Ovechkin the cover star of “NHL 2K10″ and the not-so-obvious choice to have him promote the game in some strange ways. This time around, they’re running fan-friendly tours to show off the game.
In this video, LA Kings defenseman Jack Johnson gets destroyed by a six-year-old kid. (To be fair, from the clips they’ve shown, both are much better than The Royal Half and I. Our experience with the game was a flailing failure. Or pehaps a flailure.)
As we reported earlier this week, the game will be released earlier than expected on August 24. Who knows if the game will be a hit, but the marketing campaign earns points for creativity … and dare I say it, cuteness.
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 0
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 11
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22