Aug 11, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
While the actual product seems a few strides behind EA Sports’ offerings, 2K Sports is doing a lot of things right with the marketing of their hockey games. (Although the hockey moms gimmick last year was … questionable.)
Last season, they made the obvious choice to make Alex Ovechkin the cover star of “NHL 2K10″ and the not-so-obvious choice to have him promote the game in some strange ways. This time around, they’re running fan-friendly tours to show off the game.
In this video, LA Kings defenseman Jack Johnson gets destroyed by a six-year-old kid. (To be fair, from the clips they’ve shown, both are much better than The Royal Half and I. Our experience with the game was a flailing failure. Or pehaps a flailure.)
As we reported earlier this week, the game will be released earlier than expected on August 24. Who knows if the game will be a hit, but the marketing campaign earns points for creativity … and dare I say it, cuteness.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 34
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10