Aug 11, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
While the actual product seems a few strides behind EA Sports’ offerings, 2K Sports is doing a lot of things right with the marketing of their hockey games. (Although the hockey moms gimmick last year was … questionable.)
Last season, they made the obvious choice to make Alex Ovechkin the cover star of “NHL 2K10” and the not-so-obvious choice to have him promote the game in some strange ways. This time around, they’re running fan-friendly tours to show off the game.
In this video, LA Kings defenseman Jack Johnson gets destroyed by a six-year-old kid. (To be fair, from the clips they’ve shown, both are much better than The Royal Half and I. Our experience with the game was a flailing failure. Or pehaps a flailure.)
As we reported earlier this week, the game will be released earlier than expected on August 24. Who knows if the game will be a hit, but the marketing campaign earns points for creativity … and dare I say it, cuteness.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5