Aug 11, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
When I think of the Calgary Flames now-near-mirage of a Stanley Cup Finals run, I think of a few things. Jarome Iginla making himself a true hockey household name. Miikka Kiprusoff becoming the first Finnish goalie name I’d struggle to spell for years. Mike Commdore sporting a hilarious ginger afro. The speed of Chris Clark. The crazy fans in Calgary’s red mile. Martin Gelinas going from the answer to a Wayne Gretzky Trade trivia question to a man who seemed to always be in the right place at the right time.
I also think of scrappy center Craig Conroy.
The team signed the 38-year-old center to a one-year contract today. Calgary Herald writer Vicki Hall reports that it will be a two-year deal worth the league minimum. Flames blog Matchsticks & Gasoline contextualizes the Conroy re-signing.
With the health of Daymond Langkow still in question and the ability of any of the other three centres currently on the roster to handle tough minutes at even strength on the penalty kill, retaining Conroy certainly makes sense for the Flames, especially at that dollar figure with a versatile contract.
I’m not sure whether or not Conroy makes the team is really a question, I think there’s too much respect there; perhaps he’ll retire if he gets demoted, because I can’t imagine a thirty-nine year old player with a family wants to spend potentially his last season traipsing around the AHL, but who knows, he could prove to be a useful influence on what looks to be a very young Abbotsford team.
While it’s true that Conroy saw a serious drop in production last season (from 48 points in 82 games in 08-09 to only 15 in 63 in 09-10), it’s a very low risk, low money contract. Conroy seems like a pretty versatile, high-character guy, something the Flames might be a little bit short on.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)