Aug 10, 2010, 1:00 AM EDT
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Lightning sign 2010 third rounder Radko Gudas – His nickname will have to be “Rad,” right?
Red Wings sign Ruslan Salei – File Salei under “People I forgot still existed.”
Riley Cote retires, will become an assistant coach – Cote was the NHL’s equivalent to a “jobber” in pro wrestling, from what I’ve heard.
Anaheim Ducks re-sign Teemu Selanne – I’m actually surprised Selanne’s getting $3.25 million. It’s not a bad deal, but he’s been a bargain since the lockout.
Joe’s stuff on Ilya Kovalchuk: His first post about the contract being voided and then a piece focusing on why the length of the contract was the biggest problem.
My stuff on Kovalchuk: Comparing Kovalchuk’s deal to similar, questionable ones. The NHL reportedly isn’t expected to fine Kovalchuk or the Devils. Devils are starting to work on a new deal. Could the ruling end up blocking other deals – including ones that were already made? Finally, here’s a transcript of the ruling.
Ducks GM Bob Murray might try a different approach to signing Bobby Ryan – Has he considered hypnosis?
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63