Aug 10, 2010, 1:00 AM EDT
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Lightning sign 2010 third rounder Radko Gudas – His nickname will have to be “Rad,” right?
Red Wings sign Ruslan Salei – File Salei under “People I forgot still existed.”
Riley Cote retires, will become an assistant coach – Cote was the NHL’s equivalent to a “jobber” in pro wrestling, from what I’ve heard.
Anaheim Ducks re-sign Teemu Selanne – I’m actually surprised Selanne’s getting $3.25 million. It’s not a bad deal, but he’s been a bargain since the lockout.
Joe’s stuff on Ilya Kovalchuk: His first post about the contract being voided and then a piece focusing on why the length of the contract was the biggest problem.
My stuff on Kovalchuk: Comparing Kovalchuk’s deal to similar, questionable ones. The NHL reportedly isn’t expected to fine Kovalchuk or the Devils. Devils are starting to work on a new deal. Could the ruling end up blocking other deals – including ones that were already made? Finally, here’s a transcript of the ruling.
Ducks GM Bob Murray might try a different approach to signing Bobby Ryan – Has he considered hypnosis?
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 34
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 57
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)