Aug 10, 2010, 1:00 AM EDT
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Lightning sign 2010 third rounder Radko Gudas – His nickname will have to be “Rad,” right?
Red Wings sign Ruslan Salei – File Salei under “People I forgot still existed.”
Riley Cote retires, will become an assistant coach – Cote was the NHL’s equivalent to a “jobber” in pro wrestling, from what I’ve heard.
Anaheim Ducks re-sign Teemu Selanne – I’m actually surprised Selanne’s getting $3.25 million. It’s not a bad deal, but he’s been a bargain since the lockout.
Joe’s stuff on Ilya Kovalchuk: His first post about the contract being voided and then a piece focusing on why the length of the contract was the biggest problem.
My stuff on Kovalchuk: Comparing Kovalchuk’s deal to similar, questionable ones. The NHL reportedly isn’t expected to fine Kovalchuk or the Devils. Devils are starting to work on a new deal. Could the ruling end up blocking other deals – including ones that were already made? Finally, here’s a transcript of the ruling.
Ducks GM Bob Murray might try a different approach to signing Bobby Ryan – Has he considered hypnosis?
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 34
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10