Aug 10, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild added Rick Wilson to their coaching staff today, filling a gap left by departed assistant coach Mike Ramsey. Here is more from Glen Andersen of the Minnesota Wild’s Web site.
After a long, hurdle-ridden process, Wilson signed his contract in the Wild’s corporate offices today, his 60th birthday.
The Wild had several outstanding candidates for the vacant position, but none possessed as much experience as Wilson, who has coached in the NHL since 1988, and most recently was an associate coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning last year.
This will actually be Wilson’s second stint in Minnesota. He was an assistant for the North Stars during the 1992-93 season before relocating with the franchise to Dallas, where he won a Stanley Cup in 1999. Wilson was with the Stars for 16 years, which included seven division titles, two Western Conference championships and two President’s Trophies. He was also Dallas’ interim coach in 2002, when he led the club to a 13-11-7 mark.
Wilson’s expertise is working with defensemen, which was a priority in Head Coach Todd Richards’ search. Under Wilson’s guidance of the Dallas defensive corps, the club finished in the top three for fewest goals against in 2002-03, 2003-04, 2006-07 and 2007-08.
Wow, an assistant coach at the age of 60? I’m guessing he’s comfortable with the fact that he’s not likely to get more than an interim head coaching gig in the future, although you never really know.
It seems like a solid hire by the Wild, as the Stars’ worst years on defense seemed to come by the time he left the tea,.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)