Aug 10, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild added Rick Wilson to their coaching staff today, filling a gap left by departed assistant coach Mike Ramsey. Here is more from Glen Andersen of the Minnesota Wild’s Web site.
After a long, hurdle-ridden process, Wilson signed his contract in the Wild’s corporate offices today, his 60th birthday.
The Wild had several outstanding candidates for the vacant position, but none possessed as much experience as Wilson, who has coached in the NHL since 1988, and most recently was an associate coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning last year.
This will actually be Wilson’s second stint in Minnesota. He was an assistant for the North Stars during the 1992-93 season before relocating with the franchise to Dallas, where he won a Stanley Cup in 1999. Wilson was with the Stars for 16 years, which included seven division titles, two Western Conference championships and two President’s Trophies. He was also Dallas’ interim coach in 2002, when he led the club to a 13-11-7 mark.
Wilson’s expertise is working with defensemen, which was a priority in Head Coach Todd Richards’ search. Under Wilson’s guidance of the Dallas defensive corps, the club finished in the top three for fewest goals against in 2002-03, 2003-04, 2006-07 and 2007-08.
Wow, an assistant coach at the age of 60? I’m guessing he’s comfortable with the fact that he’s not likely to get more than an interim head coaching gig in the future, although you never really know.
It seems like a solid hire by the Wild, as the Stars’ worst years on defense seemed to come by the time he left the tea,.
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 2
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 2
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 21
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 37
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators