Aug 10, 2010, 11:09 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils have filled out their minor league coaching ranks hiring new head coaches for both the AHL Albany Devils and the ECHL Trenton Devils. Taking the reins in Albany will be Rick Kowalsky, as he’s earning a promotion up after coaching the Trenton Devils last season. Kowalsky brings on former Devils defenseman Tommy Albelin as his assistant coach.
Moving up into the top position in Trenton is another former Devils defenseman Kevin Dean. Dean was an assistant coach with John MacLean in AHL Lowell last year and now he’ll be running the Devils second-tier minor league team in Trenton. With MacLean moving up to take the top job with the Devils, the entire organization’s coaching ranks get shuffled around to give two guys their first shots at head coaching jobs.
If you’re the kind of fan that figures if times get tough for New Jersey at all and John MacLean might run afoul of Lou Lamoriello late in the season (as has been known to happen), Lamoriello has Larry Robinson working as MacLean’s assistant and he’s got enough experience behind the bench for the Devils as it is. The Devils other assistant coach Adam Oates doesn’t figure to be a threat to be a head coach neither does goaltending coach Chris Terreri. With the number of former players taking coaching jobs in New Jersey, you could argue they could ice a better team of coaches than some NHL teams could with players.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)