Aug 10, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
Now that the Texas Rangers finally left the troubled hands of former owner Tom Hicks, the next step should be to sort out the messy situation Hicks’ other struggling Texas sports franchise is going through. Simply put, the Dallas Stars are somewhere between “mired by financial restraints” and “just plain miserable” right now.
So it’s not surprising to read about high ranking executives bolting from the organization, which is exactly what happened today. Here’s the news from Mark Stepneski of ESPN Dallas.
Jeff Cogen, who has been president of the Dallas Stars since November 2007, is leaving the team to join the Nashville Predators organization. An official announcement by Nashville is expected later this afternoon.
Stepneski says that Cogen will act as the Chief Executive Officer for the Predators while the Stars haven’t announced if they’ll name an interim president just yet. To be fair to the Stars and their former president, Cogen’s contract with the team expired in June so it’s not as if he left in an unprofessional manner.
Still, these are the kind of things that happen in unstable professional environments. Good luck to Joe Nieuwendyk and Co. as they try to hold the franchise together during some challenging times. They might need it.
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)