Aug 10, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Now that the Texas Rangers finally left the troubled hands of former owner Tom Hicks, the next step should be to sort out the messy situation Hicks’ other struggling Texas sports franchise is going through. Simply put, the Dallas Stars are somewhere between “mired by financial restraints” and “just plain miserable” right now.
So it’s not surprising to read about high ranking executives bolting from the organization, which is exactly what happened today. Here’s the news from Mark Stepneski of ESPN Dallas.
Jeff Cogen, who has been president of the Dallas Stars since November 2007, is leaving the team to join the Nashville Predators organization. An official announcement by Nashville is expected later this afternoon.
Stepneski says that Cogen will act as the Chief Executive Officer for the Predators while the Stars haven’t announced if they’ll name an interim president just yet. To be fair to the Stars and their former president, Cogen’s contract with the team expired in June so it’s not as if he left in an unprofessional manner.
Still, these are the kind of things that happen in unstable professional environments. Good luck to Joe Nieuwendyk and Co. as they try to hold the franchise together during some challenging times. They might need it.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)