Aug 10, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Now that the Texas Rangers finally left the troubled hands of former owner Tom Hicks, the next step should be to sort out the messy situation Hicks’ other struggling Texas sports franchise is going through. Simply put, the Dallas Stars are somewhere between “mired by financial restraints” and “just plain miserable” right now.
So it’s not surprising to read about high ranking executives bolting from the organization, which is exactly what happened today. Here’s the news from Mark Stepneski of ESPN Dallas.
Jeff Cogen, who has been president of the Dallas Stars since November 2007, is leaving the team to join the Nashville Predators organization. An official announcement by Nashville is expected later this afternoon.
Stepneski says that Cogen will act as the Chief Executive Officer for the Predators while the Stars haven’t announced if they’ll name an interim president just yet. To be fair to the Stars and their former president, Cogen’s contract with the team expired in June so it’s not as if he left in an unprofessional manner.
Still, these are the kind of things that happen in unstable professional environments. Good luck to Joe Nieuwendyk and Co. as they try to hold the franchise together during some challenging times. They might need it.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)