Aug 10, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Now that the Texas Rangers finally left the troubled hands of former owner Tom Hicks, the next step should be to sort out the messy situation Hicks’ other struggling Texas sports franchise is going through. Simply put, the Dallas Stars are somewhere between “mired by financial restraints” and “just plain miserable” right now.
So it’s not surprising to read about high ranking executives bolting from the organization, which is exactly what happened today. Here’s the news from Mark Stepneski of ESPN Dallas.
Jeff Cogen, who has been president of the Dallas Stars since November 2007, is leaving the team to join the Nashville Predators organization. An official announcement by Nashville is expected later this afternoon.
Stepneski says that Cogen will act as the Chief Executive Officer for the Predators while the Stars haven’t announced if they’ll name an interim president just yet. To be fair to the Stars and their former president, Cogen’s contract with the team expired in June so it’s not as if he left in an unprofessional manner.
Still, these are the kind of things that happen in unstable professional environments. Good luck to Joe Nieuwendyk and Co. as they try to hold the franchise together during some challenging times. They might need it.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)