Aug 10, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Now that the Texas Rangers finally left the troubled hands of former owner Tom Hicks, the next step should be to sort out the messy situation Hicks’ other struggling Texas sports franchise is going through. Simply put, the Dallas Stars are somewhere between “mired by financial restraints” and “just plain miserable” right now.
So it’s not surprising to read about high ranking executives bolting from the organization, which is exactly what happened today. Here’s the news from Mark Stepneski of ESPN Dallas.
Jeff Cogen, who has been president of the Dallas Stars since November 2007, is leaving the team to join the Nashville Predators organization. An official announcement by Nashville is expected later this afternoon.
Stepneski says that Cogen will act as the Chief Executive Officer for the Predators while the Stars haven’t announced if they’ll name an interim president just yet. To be fair to the Stars and their former president, Cogen’s contract with the team expired in June so it’s not as if he left in an unprofessional manner.
Still, these are the kind of things that happen in unstable professional environments. Good luck to Joe Nieuwendyk and Co. as they try to hold the franchise together during some challenging times. They might need it.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 0
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 11
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)