Aug 10, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
It seems like hockey players aren’t the only people getting signed to “lifetime” contracts.
The Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers signed a Nicklas Backstrom-length deal for their TV coverage, making a 10-year pact with Rogers Sportsnet that will help the company launch a new 24-hour channel Rogers Sportsnet ONE. The Flames provided a little more information on a deal they called “unprecedented.”
Rogers Sportsnet today announced an unprecedented 10-year partnership with Alberta’s two National Hockey League teams, under which Rogers Sportsnet will be the clubs’ Official Television Broadcaster and provider of digital media content until 2020.
Beginning with the upcoming 2010-11 NHL season, Rogers Sportsnet West and Rogers Sportsnet ONE will combine to televise at least 58 Calgary Flames and 58 Edmonton Oilers games for 10 seasons within the Flames and Oilers regional territory which includes Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
This agreement will also mean Alberta’s NHL hockey fans will no longer have to rely on Flames and Oilers Pay Per View broadcasts to in order to view games not being broadcast on Sportsnet West.
It’s great to hear that Flames and Oilers fans won’t need to order Pay Per View games just to see their teams play. That’s a win for everyone.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 55
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal