Aug 10, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
It seems like hockey players aren’t the only people getting signed to “lifetime” contracts.
The Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers signed a Nicklas Backstrom-length deal for their TV coverage, making a 10-year pact with Rogers Sportsnet that will help the company launch a new 24-hour channel Rogers Sportsnet ONE. The Flames provided a little more information on a deal they called “unprecedented.”
Rogers Sportsnet today announced an unprecedented 10-year partnership with Alberta’s two National Hockey League teams, under which Rogers Sportsnet will be the clubs’ Official Television Broadcaster and provider of digital media content until 2020.
Beginning with the upcoming 2010-11 NHL season, Rogers Sportsnet West and Rogers Sportsnet ONE will combine to televise at least 58 Calgary Flames and 58 Edmonton Oilers games for 10 seasons within the Flames and Oilers regional territory which includes Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
This agreement will also mean Alberta’s NHL hockey fans will no longer have to rely on Flames and Oilers Pay Per View broadcasts to in order to view games not being broadcast on Sportsnet West.
It’s great to hear that Flames and Oilers fans won’t need to order Pay Per View games just to see their teams play. That’s a win for everyone.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)