Aug 10, 2010, 12:00 AM EDT
We’ve broken down the Ilya Kovalchuk contract rejection from many different angles, but for those of you attention-to-detail types, someone finally posted a transcript of the ruling itself. Thankfully, Canadian lawyer and sports buff Eric Macramalla got his hands on a copy, which you can peruse at your leisure here.
Macramalla is a Partner at Gowlings, “a leading Canadian law firm” and also acts as a legal analyst for the radio station Team 1200. Most of what he writes about here isn’t particularly groundbreaking, although he did point out another interesting wrinkle from the case.
In the last 6 years of the contract, the comprehensive “No Move” clause is replaced by a “No Trade”, which gives the Devils the ability to rid itself of the continuing salary cap burden during the throwaway years of the contract.
He also pointed out that – while there has been some discussion regarding the league taking a look at other questionable contracts – arbitrator Richard Bloch also made sure to distinguish Kovalchuk’s deals from the others. The fact that he goes from a no-move to a no-trade clause is another example of why the contract is so brash.
So that will cover our Kovalchuk material for tonight. Chances are we’ll have more on that tomorrow, though.
(H/T to Spector’s Hockey.)
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)