Aug 10, 2010, 12:00 AM EDT
We’ve broken down the Ilya Kovalchuk contract rejection from many different angles, but for those of you attention-to-detail types, someone finally posted a transcript of the ruling itself. Thankfully, Canadian lawyer and sports buff Eric Macramalla got his hands on a copy, which you can peruse at your leisure here.
Macramalla is a Partner at Gowlings, “a leading Canadian law firm” and also acts as a legal analyst for the radio station Team 1200. Most of what he writes about here isn’t particularly groundbreaking, although he did point out another interesting wrinkle from the case.
In the last 6 years of the contract, the comprehensive “No Move” clause is replaced by a “No Trade”, which gives the Devils the ability to rid itself of the continuing salary cap burden during the throwaway years of the contract.
He also pointed out that – while there has been some discussion regarding the league taking a look at other questionable contracts – arbitrator Richard Bloch also made sure to distinguish Kovalchuk’s deals from the others. The fact that he goes from a no-move to a no-trade clause is another example of why the contract is so brash.
So that will cover our Kovalchuk material for tonight. Chances are we’ll have more on that tomorrow, though.
(H/T to Spector’s Hockey.)
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)