Aug 10, 2010, 12:00 AM EDT
We’ve broken down the Ilya Kovalchuk contract rejection from many different angles, but for those of you attention-to-detail types, someone finally posted a transcript of the ruling itself. Thankfully, Canadian lawyer and sports buff Eric Macramalla got his hands on a copy, which you can peruse at your leisure here.
Macramalla is a Partner at Gowlings, “a leading Canadian law firm” and also acts as a legal analyst for the radio station Team 1200. Most of what he writes about here isn’t particularly groundbreaking, although he did point out another interesting wrinkle from the case.
In the last 6 years of the contract, the comprehensive “No Move” clause is replaced by a “No Trade”, which gives the Devils the ability to rid itself of the continuing salary cap burden during the throwaway years of the contract.
He also pointed out that – while there has been some discussion regarding the league taking a look at other questionable contracts – arbitrator Richard Bloch also made sure to distinguish Kovalchuk’s deals from the others. The fact that he goes from a no-move to a no-trade clause is another example of why the contract is so brash.
So that will cover our Kovalchuk material for tonight. Chances are we’ll have more on that tomorrow, though.
(H/T to Spector’s Hockey.)
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)